Gurjaani (Georgian: გურჯაანი) is a city, with a population of 10,000, in the Alasani valley of the Kakheti region.
The area around and in Gurjaani was already inhabited during the stone ages. The oldest church originates from the 8th century. As with the rest of the Kakheti region, also Gurjaani is an important wine region. The modern city was founded in 1934.
Furthermore, several marshrutkas travel between Gurjaani and Telavi, Sighnaghi as well as Tnori.
The main Kakheti highway no. 5 can be taken from Tbilisi or the Azerbaijani border. At Bakurtsikhe take highway no. 42 for 10 km towards Telavi.
The city is small enough to be walkable.
- 1 Church of All Saints / Church of the Dormition (Gurjaani Kveladtsminda / გურჯაანის ყველაწმინდა). A basilica built around the 8th century, with two domes above the middle part. The space is aligned according to three church basilica type and includes a gallery. More information here: Gurjaani Kvelatsminda Church (Wikipedia)
- 2 Museum of Nato Vachnadze. Tu-Su 10-18:00. The former house of the famous Georgian film actress, which received numerous awards like the Stalin prize and the title of People's Artist of the Georgian Soviet Socialist Republic.
- Vejini Fortress (The village of the same name is just 5 km south of Gurjaani).
- 1 Akhtala Mud Resort (ახტალა), Gurjaani (west of Gurjaani), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A historic therapeutic mineral mud resort. Discovered in 1924, in 1932 a small sanatorium and the clinic were opened. The mud here contains three components: Water with 45-95% mineral, a crystalline mixture and colloidal particles.
- 1 City Theatre. This might be a good place for evening entertainment and also to have a drink.
- Telavi – the capital of Kakheti is a convenient base for exploring the region's wineries, castles, and monasteries
- Sighnaghi – A restored wine town with an extensive wall and close-by the popular Monastery of St. George at Bodbe (aka Bodbe Convent).
- Lagodekhi – A pretty boarder town (next to Azerbaijan) and a nearby nature reserve with subtropical forests.
- David Gareja Monastery Complex – A 6th century cave monastery clinging onto a rocky hillside lying meters away from Azerbaijan, with beautiful frescos. Can be reached by taxis or organized tours, no public transport available from Sighnaghi (only Tbilisi). 50 km from Sighnaghi, a detour along the way to/from Tbilisi.
Also, see Kakheti for more details.