Gwarinpa is a developed district in Abuja Phase 3 which has the largest single housing estate in Nigeria. The area is quite flourishing and as a result it is often referred to as a city on its own. Gwarinpa expanded consequentially and increased in population as well in the early 2000s as part of the urban development of Abuja. Gwarinpa is located a little north-west of Abuja, the country's capital city.
Gwarinpa was designed and built by the government of the late General Sani Abacha. The estate is believed to be the largest of its kind in Nigeria and the largest housing estate in West Africa at large. It is situated on an expanse of land measuring about 1090 hectares alongside seven residential areas identified by boulevard.
There are eight airports closer to Gwarinpa but the closest airport is the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport which is 12 miles (19 km) south-west from the area.
The area is a notable mid-high class quaters that was developed to be residential in nature. There has been a development of prominent commercial activities such as the building of diverse shops, restaurants and within the neighborhood.
Gwarinpa has a population of about 200,000.
From Abuja Airport (ABV IATA), there are two ways a traveller or visitor can get in to Gwarinpa. Its either by car or taxicab.
The driving distance between Abuja Airport to Gwarinpa is around 41 km. A visitor can drive from Abuja Airport to Gwarinpa in about 35 minutes.
The easiest way to get from Abuja Airport to Gwarinpa without a car is to charter a taxicab which takes about 35 minutes and costs ₦4,000 to ₦ 6,000.
Gwarinpa is proximate to Katampe and Jahi in the north east, Jabi in the south east, Life Camp in the south, Kado in the east, Karsana to the west and Dawaki and Kubwa to the north west.
The infrastructures, particularly the road network, is fantastic. Travelling from Gwarinpa to Abuja Central Area is 15 to 20 minutes approximately.
The major roads include; the Murtala Mohammed Expressway at the northern edge of the district and the Ahmadu Bello Way at the south. Ring Road Two also connects to extended outer Abuja areas like the Galadimawa area.
Gwarinpa has the most buzzing day and night economy away from Abuja’s inner areas. Most prominent places of interest in the area include:
- Evelyn’s Event Centre
- Yoguberry Spot
- Pathfield Mall.
There are prominent markets and supermarkets located in Gwarimpa where visitors as well as the inhabitants of the area can purchase and sell goods and services. Some of them include the following:
- 1 Gwarinpa Estate Market.
- 2 Aija Farmer's Market, James Brown St, ☏ +234 705 575 5831. 9AM - 8PM.
- 3 Estate Supermarket, 3rd Avenue, Beside Chicken Republic, ☏ +234 906 732 6041. 7AM - 7:30PM. A grocery store that provides in-store shopping.
- 4 All Purpose Pharmarcy & Supermarket. Open 24 Hours. Provides in-store shopping, in-store pick-up and delivery.
- 5 Kato Bimko/Nearby market 2 Ave, 1st Avenue/2nd Avenue. This local market provides various kinds of foodstuff. Provisions.
- 6 Bakan Gizo Food Store Gwarinpa, House 20, First Avenue, By First Bank, ☏ +234 815 544 9423. Open 24 Hours.
- 7 Tipper Garage Market, Pa Michael Imoudu Ave. 6AM - 11PM.
- In Gwarinpa, there are several eateries/restaurants where visitors can stop by and have a taste of sumptious meals. Below are some of the notable ones among them. They include:
- 1 Cy_Chowz, 3rd Avenue corner shop Amac, ☏ +234 818 285 9723. 9AM - 11PM.
- 2 DownTown TakeAway/Gwarinpa, no.3 3rd Ave, ☏ +234 909 166 6620. Open 24 hours. Offers dine-in and takeaway services.
- 3 D_Vine cuisine, 451 Rd. 9AM - 10PM.
- 4 Kilimanjaro, 84 3rd Ave, ☏ +234 807 509 1432. 7:30 - 10PM.
- 5 Safara Foods- Gwarinpa, 32 3rd Ave, ☏ +234 703 658 6968. 7AM - 10PM. A popular fast food restaurant in Gwarinpa.
- 6 Cozi Restaurant And Bar, ☏ +234 803 681 5063. 9AM - 8PM.
- 7 Drumstix, 88 First Avenue, ☏ +234 908 725 5349. 8AM - 10PM.
- 8 East Garden Chinese Restaurant, 73 1st Avenue, ☏ +234 817 193 2504. 10AM - 11PM.
- 9 ChefMaGrills, A Cl, ☏ +234 903 123 1222. 10AM - 10PM. they offer take away service.
There are a good number of accommodation options in and around Gwarinpa available for visitors to lodge without hitches. Prominent among these options are:
- The Snazz Place; The hotel accommodation has an air-conditioned accommodation with a terrace and afree private parking space.
- Peace Meadia Hotels Gwarinpa; Peace Media Hotels Gwarimpa has a bar, provides a 24 hour front desk service and welcomes guests with a restaurant and an outdoor pool as well.
- Tranquil Mews Hotel; The hotel is about 6.2 kilometres away from Gwarinpa. It provides a restaurant, access to free WiFi and each room in the hotel has a TeleVision, air conditioner and a terrace.
- SV Chrome; The hotel is around 3.8 kilometres away from Gwarinpa and about 9 kilometres from Cameroon Embassy. The property provides accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, a fitness centre and a bar too.
- Neighbourhood Guest House; It is about 1.7 km from Gwarinpa. The hotel has a restaurant and fully air-conditioned rooms
- Nordic Hotel; The property provides free WiFi, a restaurant and a year-round outdoor swimming pool. Nordic hotel also has a children's playground and terrace as well as a bar where guests can enjoy a drink.
- Hotel Reno; The hotel is some 7.3 kilometres from Gwarinpa and about 7 kilometres from Cameroon Embassy. It provides accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking space, an outdoor swimming pool as well as a fitness centre,
Although domestic travel is not restricted, some travel/movement conditions applies in and around Gwarinpa as a result of COVID-19 Pandemic. Some of these conditions include:
- Use of face masks
- observation of social distancing of 1 metre is required
- Observation of general COVID-19 safety rules
There are a couple of telecommunication outlets in Gwarinpa for ease of communication. Prominent among them include:
- 1 AJ Mobile Application Development, Gwarimpa estate AM, ☏ +234 905 617 4045. 8AM - 8PM.
- 2 First Wave Networks, Suite 22, Crest Plaza, 1st Avenue, ☏ 0800 178 9283 (local rate). 8AM - 5PM.
- 3 ENNY E Global Communications, Ab Ab Agwarinpa, Suite Ff25, 1st Floor, Anafara Plaza, Opp Oando Filling Station, 1st Avenue, ☏ +234 708 094 6100. 8AM - 6PM.
- 4 Awoof Data Bundles, Opposite Furniture house tipper garage, 3RD Avenue, ☏ +234 814 917 8008. 7:30AM - 8:30PM. An internet service provider.
- 5 Ntel (Chembian Plaza; 4th Ave). 8AM - 5PM.
- 6 Smile Telocommunications, H-Medix, 3rd Ave. Open 24 hours.
- 7 9mobile SIM Registration Centre, Just Recharges Limited Shop 4 1St Avenue, beside Diamond Bank, ☏ +234 809 336 2221. 8AM - 5PM.
- 8 Emm Phone Network, Suite 20, Plaza, 3rd Avenue, ☏ +234 805 240 6150.
- 9 MTN Mast. Telecommunications sevice provider.