Haast is a small collection of communities, Haast Junction, Haast township and Haast Beach, on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. It is located on the edge of Mount Aspiring National Park, part of the UNESCO's Southwest New Zealand World Heritage Area.
- State Highway 6 (SH6) runs right through Haast, and more specifically Haast Junction, so access from Wanaka in the east or from Fox Glacier, Franz Josef Glacier, Hokitika, Greymouth in the north is very easy. SH6 offers beautiful vistas of the Tasman Sea and travels through rainforests.
Use your thumb, your feet or your car because there is no public transportation in this small community.
The Haast region consists of more than 2500 km² of one of the world's most diverse and spectacular landscapes. In 1990 this area was internationally recognised as a location of significant natural value and became the centre piece of Te Wahipounamu - South West New Zealand World Heritage Area.
The Haast is the perfect destination to explore some of New Zealand's most unique scenery and wildlife.
- Thunder Creek Falls. A quick and easy walk from the carpark on State Highway 6 to see an amazing 90-foot (28-m) waterfall. Catch this waterfall along with several others as you drive into or away from Haast.
- Haast River Safari, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 865 382. Hour and a half trip in the Haast River Valley departing at 9AM, 11AM and 2PM daily summer (Oct-Apr) and 10AM and 1PM winter (May-Sep). Adult $139, student (13-18 yr) $99, child (5-12 yr) $59.
- Waiatoto River Safari, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 538 723. Departing 10AM, 1PM, 4PM in peak season. The first and only sea-to-mountain jetboat river safari in the world. A 2 hr 15 min to 2 hr 30 min trip including an opportunity for a short walk. Adult $199, child $139.
- Walking. Various tracks in the area offer an opportunity to experience the wilderness of the area.
- Dune Lake Walk. An easy 30-minute walk.
- Hapuka Estuary Walk. An easy 20-minute walk. Starting just across from the Haast Beach Holiday Park, this track offers several different environments to explore, including 800-year-old rimu trees. This is a beautiful track for bird watching.
- Ship Creek Tauparikaka Walks. An easy 20-minute walk to see some of the country's tallest trees. The track starts from the road to Lake Moeraki.
- Smoothwater Bay Track. A moderate 2- to 3-hour walk.
- Blue Pools Walk just north of Makarora, which features a swing bridge over the Makarora River and deep azure pools of glacial-fed water
- Santana for Merino Possum, Tahutahi Rd, ☏ . Great shop for New Zealand made Merino possum clothing, plus possum skins and products, South Westland gold, and general souvenirs.
- The Craypot, Jackson Bay, ☏ . Fast food with a view. Open daily 11am-3:30pm.
- Fantail Cafe, Marks Road, ☏ , 0800 681 682. Summer 7:30AM-5PM; winter 8AM:30PM.
- Frontier Café and Bar, Haast World Heritage Hotel. Open daily. During the summer a buffet dinner starts at 6PM daily.
- ASURE Aspiring Court Motel, Marks Rd, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 500 703. Studio and family motel rooms. YHA member discount on the cabins, budget rooms, powered sites, and tent sites.
- Bay Road Motels, Jackson Bay Rd, +64 3 750 0883.
- Collyer House, Jackson Bay Rd, ☏ . Four deluxe en suite rooms in a very private, beautiful home on the coast.
- Haast Beach Holiday Park, Jackson Bay Rd, +64 3 750 0860, 0800 843 226. Motel rooms, cabins, powered sites and tent sites.
- Haast Lodge, Marks Rd, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 500 703. Backpackers and motor park.
- 1 Haast River Motels & Holiday Park, 52 Haast Pass Highway / State Highway 6, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 624 847, ✉ email@example.com. Motel rooms, bunk room and sites for vans and tents.
- 2 Heartland Hotel Haast, 26 Haast-Jackson Bay Rd, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 502 444, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Free Wi-Fi, free parking, on-site restaurant & bar. From $100.
- Heritage Park Lodge, Marks Rd, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 526 252. 16 en suite rooms.
- Wilderness Accommodation, Marks Rd, ☏ . Backpackers and motel accommodation. BBH member discounts.
Mobile phone service started in Haast in May 2018. As of Jan 2021, coverage is limited to 3G and within a roughly 3-km radius of Haast township.
- Fox Glacier – the bigger and less crowded glacier (1½ hours drive north)
- Mount Aspiring National Park
|Routes through Haast|
|Hokitika ← Fox Glacier ←||N S||→ Wanaka|