Haddington is in The Lothians, 15 miles east of Edinburgh. It's a small market town and the administrative centre of East Lothian council area.
Haddington is just off the A1. East Coast Bus 104 runs from Edinburgh to Haddington via Musselburgh, Wallyford and Tranent. It runs daily every 30 mins and takes an hour.
East Coast Bus X7 runs from Edinburgh to Haddington (50 mins), East Linton and Dunbar, daily every 30 mins.
Eves Coaches Bus 121 runs from Haddington to North Berwick via East Fortune and Drem railway station, daily every couple of hours.
- 1 St Mary's Parish Church, Sidegate Haddington EH41 4BZ. closed for rebuilding. Substantial and attractive church dating from the 14th C. Interior is being rebuilt in 2019, you can admire exterior but entry will probably be limited to services, which continue Suns 09:30 & 11:00.
- 2 Traprain Law. Always accessible. Crag 221m / 725ft high, where glaciers scooped away other rock leaving a scarp, a tail of debris and an easily defended site. On top was an oppidum or hill fort, occupied from at least 1500 BC. When the Romans arrived they found it occupied by the Votadini, who later decamped to the similarly-formed Castle Rock in Edinburgh. In 1919 a hoard of broken-up 5th C Roman silver was found here (now in the NMS, Edinburgh): it may have been sawn up to use as coinage. Free.
- 3 National Museum of Flight Scotland, East Fortune Airfield EH39 5LF (B1347 three miles east of Haddington; bus 121). Apr-Oct daily 10:00-17:00, Nov-Mar Sa Su 10:00-16:00. Four hangars of aircraft: climb aboard a real Concorde (G-BOAA), Boeing 707, Vulcan or Comet. Adult £12.
- Aberlady Bay five miles north is a bird reserve.
- Visit 1 Glenkinchie Distillery, open daily 10:00-15:00 for tours and tastings. It's at Peastonbank EH34 5ET, off A6093 midway between Haddington and Dalkeith.
- Haddington Agricultural Show is held here in late June. The next event is Sat 29 June 2019.
There's a Tesco in town centre.
- Waterside Bistro (across the footbridge) is open daily 11:00-23:00.
- Victoria Inn and The Bell are pubs on Court Street and have rooms.
- Letham House. House built in 1645. rooms from £140.
- One West Road. from £45 per person.
- The Victoria Inn, 9 Court Street. 5 room hotel from £45 per person.
- Maitlandfield House Hotel. from £85.
- North to Gullane and North Berwick
- West to Musselburgh and Edinburgh
- East to Dunbar and Berwick-upon-Tweed.
|Routes through Haddington|
|Edinburgh ← Musselburgh ←||W E||→ Dunbar → Newcastle-upon-Tyne|