Halberstadt, a town of about 50,000 people, is only a few minutes by car from the mountains and travellers are welcomed from afar by the impressive towers of the 1200-year old Bishop`s Seat. The town was severely damaged in World War II, but retains many important historic buildings and much of its ancient townscape. Notable places in Halberstadt include the Liebfrauenkirche and St. Stephen Cathedral, churches built in the 12th and 13th centuries, respectively. Halberstadt is the site of the first documented large, permanent pipe organ installation in 1361. The cathedral is notable among those in northern European towns in having retained its medieval treasury in virtually complete condition. Among its treasures are the oldest surviving tapestries in Europe, dating from the 12th century.
The closest airports with international flights are Leipzig/Halle (LEJ IATA) near Schkeuditz and Hanover Airport (HAJ IATA) both airports are connected to their respective towns by S-Bahn and from there you can take regional trains to Halberstadt; for Hanover change in Goslar and for Leipzig/Halle change in Halle. Leipzig Halle Airport is also served by some long distance trains, enabling a change in Magdeburg
There are frequent daily direct connections to Magdeburg approximately 40 minutes, Halle approximately 1 hour 30 minutes and Hanover approximately 2 hours. Trains can be booked via the DB website.
Halberstadt is served by both the B79 and the B81 which provide access from all directions and lead to the main regional road B6 to the south. The B6 in turn, leads north west to the A395 and Braunschweig, or east to the A14 which goes north towards Magdeburg or south to Halle and Leipzig.
- Halberstadt has around 9.5km of tram track which form two tram routes around town. These trams can be accessed from any one of around 30 tram stops and used to travel around the area for a small charge.Timetables.
TIP: The www.insa.de HarzTourCard enables you to travel by bus, train and narrow gauge train (only Schierke–Brocken) as much as you like within three days. It costs €18, family: €34,50 from the local tourist information or website.
- Halberstadt has 5 bus routes which cover the whole area and are available for use by visitors and locals alike for a small charge. Timetable and prices also at the above website.
By historical tram
- Historische Straßenbahnen, Hinter dem Rathause 6, ☏ , fax: . A 1939 Tram with 40 seats can be booked for a 1 hour tour of the town for €129. This must be pre booked on the website.
- Berend Lehmann Museum, Bakenstraße 57, ☏ . Tu-Th 12:00-18:00, F-Sa 12:00-22:00, Su 12:00-17:00. Established in 2001, on the 300th Anniversary of the Prussian state, this museum is concerned with German-Jewish history and in particular the difficult periods of Prussian-Jewish history. There is also a café on site for refreshments.
- 1 Gleimhaus Halberstad, Domplatz 31, ☏ . May-Oct Tu-F 09:00-17:00, Nov-Apr 09:00-16:00, All year Sa-Su 10:00-16:00. This Literature Museum displays the collection put together in 1862 by the poet "Johan Ludwig Wilhelm Gleim" and is a must for fans of German Poetry and Literature €3.
- DDR Museum, Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 1, ☏ . Su–F 10:00-20:00, Sa 10:00-22:00. Not technically part of Museum Island, but immediately adjacent, the hands-on DDR Museum, gives an upbeat look at daily life in the GDR – achieved partly by glossing over gloomy issues like censorship and repression. €6 or €4.
Places of Worship
- 2 Der Halberstädter Dom St. Stephanus und St. Sixtus. M-F 10:00- 17:30, Sa-Su 11:00-17:30. The cathedral was built 1236-1491 and is considered a jewel of Gothic architecture. The two mighty towers typify renaissance and baroque building skills. It had 2 predecessors: one was the 859 Carolingian structure and the other, the 922 Otto creation. The 600 Artefacts and treasures in the cathedral's collection make up the largest and most important collection of art from the middle ages in any German church. It was severely damaged in 1945 and was restored by Halberstadt architect Walter Bolze. €8.
- 3 St. Burchardi church (Sankt-Burchardi-Kirche), Am Kloster 1. This little church has been playing a John Cage piece called Organ²/ASLSP (As SLow aS Possible) since 5 Sep 2001. The note played changes, on average, only once a year and is reckoned to be both the slowest and longest duration performance in the world since the concert is scheduled to end on 5 Sep 2640. The next date when something "exciting" happens will be 5 Sep 2020.
Places of Interest
- 4 [dead link] Cave dwellings of langenstein, Langenstein, at the southern rim of the Harz. No Restrictions. Occupied as dwellings until 1916 these dwellings are unique within Germany. (Bring a torch) Free.
- Giant Wine Barrel, In den Spiegelsbergen 6, ☏ . Open daily from 11:00 clock Monday - Closed. Located in Jagdschloss is Halberstadts entry in the Guinness book of records, namely the oldest and largest wine barrel in the world. Holding 140,000 litres it was built 400 years ago by Michael Werner from Landau, and was entered in the Guinness book of records on 6 June 2008. The barrel can be accessed via the Spiegelsberge Jagdschloss restaurant which opens daily from 1100 hrs
- Nordharzer Stadtebundtheater, Spiegelstr. 20a, ☏ . As Per Theatre Guide. For visitors who wish to experience German Theatre. There are details on the website of a frequent and varied programme of productions and tickets can also be ordered on the website or purchased directly in the theatre As Per Theatre Guide.
- Sport and Freizeitzentrum, Gebrüder-Rehse-Str. 12, ☏ . The many facilities have different timings, the website gives a full list. Halberstadt has a large sports centre which consists of a sports and fitness area, a comprehensive water park, and a large wellness and beauty centre. Sports includes squash, tennis, badminton and a climbing wall as well as a comprehensive keep fit and weight training area. Sealand has 4700 square metres of water park facilities such as pools and slides etc. Sauna land offers a range of sauna experiences and beautyland completes the set with wellness facilities on offer
- [formerly dead link] Tiergarten Halberstadt, Spiegelsberge 4, ☏ . May - Sept. Mo - So 9 - 19hrs Oct. - Apr Mo - So 9 - 17 hrs. A Family friendly park which will provide a few hours entertainment for children and animal lovers. Open all year round, its occupants include camels, raccoons, wolves, dingos, lynxes as well as domestic animals and an area where visitors can touch the tame animals and feed them. There is also an amusing animal school show for visitors
Halberstadt town centre has the normal array of shops expected in a town of this size. C&A, indoor shopping malls, clothes shops like New Yorker and Orsay and electronic shops.
- Rathauspassagen Halberstadt, Centermanagement Holzmarkt 7, ☏ . Mon to Fri 9.00 - 20.00 hrs Sat 9.00 to 18.00 hrs. Located in the town centre is a modern colourful indoor shopping centre with a wide variety of shops catering for the majority of needs. visitors can utilise the free car park with 500 spaces and enjoy shopping in comfort for everything from groceries to clothes and electronics etc
- Parfümerie Flair, Fischmarkt 12, 38820 Halberstadt, ☏ . Experience all your perfumery desires in one location.
- Restaurant Olive, Bakenstraße 1, ☏ . M-Sa 12:00-14:30 and 18:00-22:00, Su 11:00-15:00 and 18:00-22:00. Situated in the middle of the Old Town this establishment offers a mouthwatering selection of Mediterranean dishes. Brunch buffet can be eaten 11:00-15:00, with lunch specials costing as little as €5. From €5.
- Restaurant Schwejk, Dr.-Crohn-Str. 1, ☏ . Daily 11:00-23:00. Hearty Bohemian dishes washed down with Czech beer is the order of the day in restaurant Schwejk at very reasonable prices, from €9 for a main meal. There's also an affiliated butchers shop for those who wish to purchase fresh meats or German sausage.
- Milchbar, Spiegelstraße 63, ☏ . M-Sa 14:00-22:00, Su 14:00-19:00. This 80 seat restaurant specialises in confectionery, fruit and ice cream, but also offers a selection of hot meals.
- Restaurant Theatre Cafe, Straße der OdF 38, ☏ . Mon - Fri 0900-1500 or 2 Hours before theatre shows. Located at the Theatre (entrance through EDEKA carpark) this cafe also specilises in home made cakes and ice cream and has seating for 80 , Tour groups are welcome
- Zum Johannestor, Westendorf 52, ☏ . Tues - Sat 1100-1400 hrs and from 1800 hrs, Sunday 1100 - 1400 hrs.. This charming little restaurant is located in a building dating from the 16th Century and offers local dishes using local produce. Tour groups should book as seating is restricted to 34
- Restaurant Alt Halberstadt, Voigtei 17 - 19, ☏ . Tues - Sat From 11:00 hrs, Sun 11:00 - 16:00 hrs.. Offering freshly cooked traditional German food in an atmosphere which gives a flavour of the history of Halberstadt. The walls of this beautiful old building are decorated with historical pictures of halberstadt
- Jagdschloss Spiegelsberge, In den Spiegelsbergen 6, ☏ . Tues - Sun from 1100 hrs ( Monday closed).. This beautiful building boasts a full range of traditional German cuisine and is worth a visit just to admire the Building itself. as an added bonus you can get to see the worlds biggest and oldest wine barrel (as seen in the guinness book of records)
- Ristoranti Rossini, Voigtei 27, ☏ . Wed - Mon 11.00 - 15.00 and 17.00 - 23.00 hrs (Tues-closed).. A typical Italian restaurant, popular with the locals and serving a selection of pizza, pasta and meat dishes at affordable prices.
- Bodega El Papagayo, Holzmarkt 1, ☏ . Daily 11.30 - 14.30 hrs and from 18.00 Uhr.. This Spanish restaurant will tempt your taste buds with Tapas and paella as well as the speciality of the house "El Sombrero"
- Brauhaus Heine, Große Ringstraße, ☏ . This beautiful historic building boasts a 4 star Hotel which has a large wellness centre and is also suitable for functions or conferences.It has an excellent international reputation and comes highly recommended. The luxurious dining room serves a full German and international menu. From €74.
- Zur Ratslaube, Holzmarkt 1, ☏ . For a nice cold German beer enjoyed in a nice atmosphere, or even a Coffee, then this attractive Gasthaus comes highly recommended and has a beer garden, ample seating and a car park. Daily from 1100 hrs..
- Gastatte Bullerberg, Am Bullerberg 3, ☏ . Wed - Sun from 1000 hrs. Monday and Tuesday - by private arrangement.. Also boasting a beergarden and a relaxing atmosphere is this in 1720 established Gasthaus. It is located at the lowest part of the town and also serves a good selection of food. Bullerberg is especially suitable for large groups or seminars as it can seat up to 800 people in various function rooms.
- Gastatte am sommerbad, Gebrüder-Rehse-Str. 10, ☏ . A unique Gasthaus and restaurant built in a disused swimming pool with room for 150 guests inside and 70 outside. A comprehensive food menu is available to guests also
- Hotel Ambiente, Gröperstraße 88, ☏ . Check-in: 1400hrs, check-out: 1100hrs. This 3 star hotel is situated 1.5 km from the town centre. It offers spacious modern rooms, a WI FI hot spot and a restaurant. From €49.
- Altstadt Pension Ratsmuhle, Hoher Weg 1,, ☏ . A simple hotel offering accommodation only from €38 per single room and €61 for a double.all rooms have TV, Pets are welcome, and a breakfast buffet is provided. From €38.
- Pension Raspe, Schäferberg 22, ☏ . Rooms here start at 19 euro for a single and 38 euro for a double. This is basic accommodation for the traveler on a limited budget From €19.
- Nienhagener Hof, Ernst-Thälmann-Str. 2. Double rooms only available for 48 euro. Simple food is also available at the bar. From 48 Euro.
- Pension Lindemann, Halberstädter Str. 8, ☏ . Single rooms from 35 euro, double rooms 50 euro - all rooms with TV, plenty of free parking available. From 35 Euro.
- Pension am wasserturm, Bergstr. 11, ☏ . Single rooms 18 euro ,double rooms 47 euro. free parking and internet. From 18 Euro.
- Hotel Abtshof Kaffeepott, Abtshof 27 a, ☏ . Situated in the Old Town, this charming little hotel has 12 double and 10 single rooms together with a restaurant and beer garden. Rooms are very affordable with a weekend (Fri- Sun) offer starting at 99 Euros, and special Biker holiday rates. From 45 Euro.
- Brauhaus Heine, Große Ringstraße, ☏ . This beautiful historic building boasts a 4 star Hotel which has a large wellness centre and is also suitable for functions or conferences.It has an excellent international reputation and comes highly recommended. The luxurious dining room serves a full German and international menu and single rooms start at 74 Euros From 74 Euro.
- Parkhotel Unter den Linden, Klamrothstr. 2,, ☏ . With rooms starting at 88 Euros, this 4 star hotel was renovated completely in 1992/3 and boasts of architecture and decoration in "English style". It also has beautiful gardens and a large restaurant which caters for all tastes From 67 Euro.
For Wi-Fi and internet please visit Harzer Kaffeehaus Löper, Trillgasse 2.
Many of the hotels and guest houses offer internet or Wi-Fi access.
- Blankenburg is a town and health resort in the district of Harz
- Braunlage is a health resort and one of the centres for winter activities in Harz.
- Goslar Street after street of beautifully-carved, half-timbered houses, in fact, this town has the largest number of old houses in Germany, 1800 of them!
- Quedlinburg charming medieval city in the Harz mountains with elaborately restored half-timbered houses
- Schierke is a popular place to start or finish a walk to the Brocken mountain via the Goetheweg or the Glashüttenweg.
- Stolberg is an ex-mining community with buildings going back to the 8th century
- Thale in a strikingly beautiful river gorge. There are miles of wonderful hiking trails starting from the town.
- Wernigerode' in the Harz foothills' has half-timbered houses, a castle, and a steam-powered narrow-gauge railroad that will take you to the Brocken