Haldia is located near the confluence of the Hooghly River, a distributary of the Ganges and Haldi River. Haldia Dock Complex, which is administratively a part of Kolkata Port Trust was commissioned in 1977. Haldia Refinery of Indian Oil Corporation was commissioned in 1975. Thereafter many industries cropped up in Haldia, including Haldia Petro-chemical complex.
1. Haldia Municipality Transport Service (Daily A.C. bus Service). Journey Time: 2.5 hrs, Distance: 122 km.
Kolkata Departure: 07AM, 04PM and 05:30 pm. Contact Numbers (Kolkata): 9331815444, 9903419264, 9231553659, 9331119797.
Haldia Departure: 07AM, 08AM and 04:45 pm. Contact Numbers (Haldia): 03224-641839, 9732721199, 9774000949.
Fare: ₹110.00 (Please check and confirm fare and timings before travelling),
2. Kolkata - Amtala - Roychak - Kukrahati - Haldia. Journey Time: 3.5 hrs, Distance : 85 km
Kolkata - Roychak : Bus No - RT 210, Frequency : Every 15 min to 30 min, Journey Time: 2 hrs, Fare: ₹24.00.
Roychak - Kukrahati : By Water Vessel of Haldia Municipality, Frequency : Every 15/30 mins, Journey Time: 15 mins, Fare : ₹8.50.
Kukrahati - Haldia : Private Bus, Mini Bus or Municipality Bus, Frequency : Every 15 min to 30 min, Journey Time: 40 mins to 1 hrs, Fare: ₹18.00.
1. Howrah - Mecheda - Haldia Journey Time: 1.5 hrs, Distance : 135 km Howrah - Mechada : By Mecheda, Panskura, Kharagpur or Medinipur Local train, Fare : About ₹15.00.
Mecheda - Haldia : By Private or State or Municipality Bus. Journey Time: 1.5 hrs, Frequency : Every 15 min to 30 min, Fare : About ₹30.00,
2. Howrah - Haldia.
Howrah - Haldia : By Haldia Local Train, Journey Time: 3.5 hrs, Frequency : Morning & Evening, Fare : About ₹30.00.
3. Asansol - Haldia.
Asansol Departure time : 05.40 hrs Haldia Arrivel time : 12.10 hrs, Frequency : Daily, Distance: 311 km. For more details visit : 
Industry/ Transportation landmarks
- 1 Chambal Fertilisers & Chemicals Limited.
- 2 Haldia Dock Complex.
- 3 Haldia Petrochemicals Limited.
- 4 Hidustan Fertiliser Corporation Limited.
- 5 Hooghly Met Coke and Power Company Limited.
- 6 Indian Oil Corporation Limited.
- 7 Mitshubishi Chemicals Limited.
- 8 Tata Chemicals Limited. HFCL
Most travellers come to Haldia for business, and there is not that much to attract tourists. Watching daily activities of an industrial Indian city can be enjoyable though.
- The Golden Retreat, City Centre, Debhog, Haldia, East Midnapore (Heart of the city), ☏ . ₹2900/₹6500.
- The Golden Harvest, City Centre, Debhog, The Golden Retreat, ☏ . 12.30 to 3PM, 7.30 to 12.30PM. Northwest frontier cuisine
- Hotel Dreamland. 7PM to 11PM. Bar with music. Good place with soothing ambience.
- Royal Harbour. Good crowd in the bar with high class officers and businessmen frequenting the place. There is a protocol and dress code for this place so no non-sense is allowed here.
- 1 The Golden Retreat, Debhog, City centre (heart of the city), ☏ . Check-in: 12 noon, check-out: 12 noon. Set on 10 acres of tranquil land, amidst lush green surroundings, is a retreat with centrally air-conditioned superior deluxe rooms and suites. The Victorian architecture, spacious interiors, enchanting artifacts and tasteful furnishings spell discreet elegance, creating an atmosphere so relaxing that you can sink into it. ₹2900/₹6500.
- 2 The Royal Harbour, Kshudiram Square, Basudevpur, Haldia, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. This is a luxury lodge cum hotel cum restaurant with centrally air-conditioned superior deluxe rooms and suites.
- Hotel Dreamland, HPL Link Road, Khanjanchak, Basudevpur, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Balaji Continental, Ranichawk (Near Shramik Bhawan), ☏ .
- 4 Hotel East Coast, Durgachawk, ☏ .
- 5 Hotel Millenium Inn, Khanjanchawk, ☏ .
- 6 Hotel Sagar, Talpukur, ☏ .
- Samrat Lodge, Durgachawk, ☏ .
- Embassy Hotel, ☏ .
- Hotel Dock Place (Near Durgachak Super Market), ☏ .
- Hotel Karan International, Khanjanchak, ☏ .
- 7 India Lodge, Durgachawk New Market, ☏ .
- Hotel Pearage, Bhawanipur, ☏ .
- Hotel Classic Inn, Manjushree Morh, ☏ .
- Hotel Continental (Near IOC Gate No. 1), ☏ .
- Mohana (Benfish Tourism), ☏ . Located on an island in the Haldi river at Nayachar (Meendwip), connected with Haldia by ferry service. Natural beauty of the place attracts tourists.