In 1914 Halen has written history by beating the Germans in the "battle of the Silver Helmets" during World War one. A museum on this matter exists in Loksbergen one of the parts of Halen. there are two rivers passing Halen called "de Velpe" and "de Gete". In 1646 the construction of a water-grain-mill started. The mill still exists. Halen has multiple municipalities called Halen, Zelem, Loksbergen, Zelk.
Halen itself is the center part between the other municipalities. It is well located between Hasselt and Diest.
Loksbergen (bergen is the dutch word for hills) has some small hills and stunning sunken roads. They are protected natural domains and available for the public. In the 19th century it had some smaller pots bakeries and a clog factory that now is transformed in a big wood dealership. It has mostly fruit plantations and is a paradise with your Vespa, bicycle, motor or endless walking between the fields.
Zelem is the best side of Halen for living. It has lots of forests and nature. With it's big monastery and beautiful views of the Demer valley and the typical brown river called "de zwarte beek". The brown colour comes from the ferro in the ground. It has lots of coniferous and deciduous forests open for the public and for free.
Zelk also has some of the most beautiful sunken roads of the region. Just like Zelem there are mainly fields and grasslands. Agriculture is still very important in this region.
- 1 Tourist office, Markt 14, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. This tourist office will be more than happy to answer your questions about Halen and the region. They can also provide you with several brochures.
Halen can be reached by bus and car. If you are travelling by train the closest station is Diest. There you can continue by bus. By highway you take the exit 25 on the E314 called Halen/Diest. You will find the express way from Diest to Hasselt passing Halen. You wil directly see signs to Zelem, Zelk, Halen and Loksbergen. Halen and all municipalities are very bicycle friendly places.
Best way to get around is by motorcycle, bike, walking and/or public transport. Public transport is not expansive in Belgium and rather correct in timings however if you prefer your car there is no problem. All parking is free and there is always a good spot.
- 1 Monastery Sint-Jan in Zelem, Sint-Jansbergstraat. It is sometimes open for public and an impressive building. The future of the builiding is not sure yet (2017) parts are up for sale. Let's hope someone makes a tourist spot of it!
- The old pots factory Jorissen at "de panoven" in Loksbergen.
- There is also a regional museum in Loksbergen where you can have a drink in a fully maintained retro environment. It is called "De Reinvoart" 
- The watermill on the "Gete" (address: Zwarte Duivelstraat 35)
- Rotemse molen another watermill (address: Gidsenstraat 24)
- Museum "the battle of the silver helmets" 
- 2 St. Peter's Church in Halen, Koepoortstraat.
- 3 St. Lambert Church in Zelem.
- 4 St. Pancras Church in Zelk.
- 5 St. Andrew's Church in Loksbergen, Loksbergenstraat.
- Chapels, if you travel around in the region you will spot them everywhere. They all have a small bank or location to sit down, enjoy the view and have a moment to think and rest.
- Sertainly take a walk in the sunken roads located in Loksbergen and Zelk. If you like a good forest walk take the forests in Zelem.
- Zelem and Halen do have lots of sports and recreation facilities including, tennis fields, sports arena's and football fields.
- Zelem has a skateboard park next to it's sports and recreation arena. It is completely renewed in 2012.
- Halen also has an athletic piste and an outdoor playground next to the tennis and sports area.
Loksbergen has a museum called streekmuseum, it's a typical turn farmhouse from the end of the 19th century, there is a small exposition of old farmmachines en wooden schoes. You can drink a beer of course
Buy some local pies and traditional cookies at the local bakery. In Loksbergen next to the church you will find a tearoom combined with a bakery.
There are several banks in Halen and Zelem offering an ATM. International transfers using Maestro, Mastercard and Visa are supported by all ATMs. The Belgian Post also offers international money pick-up in their offices.
Camping supplies can be bought at a shop called "de Snuffelmarkt", located next to the express way Diest-Hasselt. 
Multiple grocery stores can be found in Halen, Zelem and Loksbergen
- Spar Halen (Address: Singellaan 20)
- De Bruyn (Address: Nederstraat 3)
- Aldi (Address: Zwarte Duivelsstraat 10)
- Tecno/Delhaize Zelem (Address: Stationsstraat)
You can eat some traditional Belgian French fries at the market of Halen for a very low budget.
- 1 Frituur 't Hoekske, Lindestraat. Another typical place for fries.
However some better restaurants are available. In "de Reinvoart" you can eat some traditional cakes, dishes and have a nip of the local Gin at very democratic prices.
Halen also offers international food:
- 3 Kokkie Wok, Fonteinstraat 4, ☎ . Tu-Su: 11:30—14:00 and 17:00—22:00. M: 17:00—22:00. Mid-budget Chinese wok place. Takeaway only.
- 4 Doner Kebab Erdal, Raubrandplein 20, ☎ . Tu-Su: 11:30—13:30 and 17:00—22:00. Closed on M. Budget friendly traditional Turkish bread, plates and home made fresh Pizza. Both takeway and restaurant.
You can drink some apple wine or local brewed gin.
"De markt" in Halen is a state of the art Belgian Cafe. You can test some Belgian beers and enjoy the view.
There is one famous disco in Halen called the Zottekot 
Hotels are available in the region of Diest and next to the exit Halen of the E314 there is also a classy, more expensive hotel.
Halen is a small municipality so there are no special safety issues. Of course normal precautions apply.
- Pharmacy Halen (Address: Generaal de Wittestraat 13)
- Pharmacy Zelem (Address: Stationsstraat 70)
- Pharmacy Loksbergen (Address: Loksbergenstraat 61)
Halen has full 3G/UMTS and Cellphone coverage. Belgian post office is located in the center of Halen near the market. You can buy stamps and send packages. Cards can be ordered in the post office or the local supermarket. You can buy a Belgian prepaid phone card at the post or all supermarkets.
Halen also has one copy-shop called "Van de paer" (Address: Fonteinstraat 1) 
The phone regional code is: 013
- Churches have a schedule printed near their entrance. Most services are on Sundays. They are free and open for public.
- The library can be found in the "Rietbron" complex. (Address: Sportlaan Halen)
- The police station is located in the "Rietbron" complex. (Address: Sportlaan Halen)