Anei Kankō and Hateruma Kaiun together have four departures daily from Ishigaki harbor. If you buy a round-trip ticket, be sure to catch the same operator's boat on the way back. Travel time is 60 minutes.
Hateruma's airport is no longer served by any scheduled flights.
There are no buses or car rentals on Hateruma, so for trips beyond the village, rent a bicycle or moped.
- 1 Japan's Southernmost Point Monument (日本最南端の碑) (on the southeast coast). As the local maps say, "Beyond here, the Philippines".
- 2 Astronomical Observatory (星空観測タワー) (300 m from the southernmost point). Tu-Su evenings. Minimal planetarium presentations in the evening. The Southern Cross is visible from mid December to June. Many local inns provide shuttle service (free or ¥500) to and from the observatory.
- 1 Nishihama (ニシ浜) (west of the port.). The turquoise waters on this beach are among the most beautiful in all of the islands.
- 1 Ayafufami (あやふふぁみ) (west of the village, south of the port), ☏ . Daily 11:30-15:00. A charming cafe/restaurant with a library and musical instruments to play.
Hateruma's local specialty Awanami (泡波) makes its way from the distillery to the local stores only sporadically, and the islanders usually buy it all up within hours. So if you come across anything larger than the tiny 100 ml bottles, grab it.
- 1 Fuka Shōten (冨嘉商店). Daily 07:30-12:00, 15:00-21:00. A little shop that's a great place to find awanami.
- 1 Nishihama-sō (西浜荘) (3 min walk south of the port), ☏ . Kitchen facilities with free rice, which you won't find anywhere else. Shared rooms ¥2000, private rooms available.