Havant is a town in Hampshire on the south coast of England. It's midway between Portsmouth and Chichester and stands at the head of the causeway to Hayling Island. It was a small village (known to the Saxons as "Hamafunta") making parchment and gloves and growing watercress, that grew up post-war when Portsmouth was bombed out and new housing was hurriedly developed here.
Havant is just off the A3(M) Motorway from London and A27 south coast trunk route.
1 Havant station is a major stop on the London Waterloo to Portsmouth direct line. It is also served by regular service on the Southern Railway West Coastway route from London Victoria with direct trains from Gatwick Airport, Southampton and Brighton.
National cycle routes 2 and 22 converge in Havant.
Havant is on the Stagecoach Coastliner 700 bus route. One National Express bus from London stops in Havant each day.
Stagecoach bus is the predominant operator of a good frequent network of local bus routes with the hub at Havant Bus Station. Emsworth District Coaches and First Bus also operate one or two low frequency routes.
- 1 The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre (Havant Arts Active), The Spring Arts & Heritage Centre 56 East Street Havant Hampshire PO9 1BS (from Havant proceed east along East Street, about a 5-minute walk), ☏ . Art exhibitions, a variety of shows and music. Occasional art and music courses. The centre also incorporates Havant museum with its local collections.
- 2 Leigh Park Gardens (Staunton Country Park) (follow the B2149 Petersfield Road North of Havant and turn left just before the end of the dual carriageway). A free-to-enter woodland and lakeside walk with a folly, the remains of Staunton Country House, and a stables cafe. free.
- 3 Staunton Farm (Staunton Country Park), Staunton Farm, Middle Park Way Havant PO9 5HB (follow the B2149 Petersfield Road north from Havant and turn left just before the end of the dual carriageway the farm car park is on the left; or take the Stagecoach 21 Bus), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A 1830s-style ornamental farm with a selection of farm and other animals with an ornamental garden and glasshouses.
- 1 Farlington Marshes (park at Broadmarsh Coastal Park and follow the coastal path west). Explore an important wildlife nature reserve of grazing ground of lagoons and pools notable for a number of wading and wildfowl species.
- 2 Hayling Billy Heritage and Activity Trail (The Hayling Billy Trail) (from Havant Station South East car park follow the cycle lane to the gates at the east end of the car park then onwards). Part of Cycle Route 22 the Heritage Trail follows the old Hayling Billy Line to West Town on Hayling Island via 'The Spring' Arts Center and the Ship Inn at Langstone.
- 3 Bingo, Crown Bingo, Somborne drive, Leigh Park Havant PO9 5AN (take B2149 from Havant and turn left for Leigh Park shopping centre; or take 23 or 39 bus to Park Parade), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Friendly Bingo & Social Club on site of old bowling alley.
The town centre has been recently supplemented by a retail park in Solent Way.
- 1 Street Market, West Street. Tu Sa 9AM-3PM. A street market is held in the pedestrian precinct every Tuesday and Saturday.
- 1 Chef Sam @ 33, Denvilles House, 33 Emsworth Road, PO9 2SN (take the Emsworth Road from Havant), ☏ . Fine dining menu from local suppliers.
- 2 Heidi's Patisserie, 34 North Street, ☏ . Daily 7:30AM-4:30PM. Pastisserie with coffee shop supplied from family-run local bakery on Hayling Island.
- 1 The Old House at Home, 2 South Street, Havant, PO9 1DA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A 17th-century public house with atmosphere and beer garden.
- 1 The Bear Hotel, 15 East Street, PO9 1BE (a 2-minute walk up the street from the centre of Havant), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Historic hotel.
|Routes through Havant|
|London ← merges with ←||N S||→ merges with|
|Portsmouth ← merges with ←||W E||→ Emsworth → Brighton|