The town itself can be reached by the trains on the line between Joensuu and Pieksämäki, with some buses between Joensuu and Varkaus as well as by car. If you want to visit New Valamo or Lintula the best way is definitely a car.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
The main attractions of Heinävesi are located in the northern part of the municipality.
- 1 [dead link] New Valamo Monastery, Valamontie 42 Uusi-Valamo. The Orthodox Christian monastery founded on the island of Valamo in Ladoga Lake in the 19th century moved to Heinävesi as Valamo was ceded to the Soviet Union after WW2. New Valamo is a good place to see icons and other forms of Orthodox Christian art. In the summer guest rooms are available for those who wish to stay a little longer.
- 2 Lintula Holy Trinity Convent, Honkasalontie 3, Palokki. The nunnery of the former.
- 3 Varistaipale Canal, Väyläasemantie 2, Varistaipale. A minor attraction near the monasteries. Finland's only canal with 4 gates.
- 4 Kermajärvi. National landscape: lake-side scenery in natural state; backwoods