A town of some 45000 that has grown rapidly in the 20th and 21st centuries, mainly due to the textile and garment industries that has been active in Herning since the late 19th century. People from Herning (as well as Ikast and Brande) are colloquially referred to as "Woollen Jutlanders" (uldjyder). Besides garments, Herning's main claim to fame are sports teams based here and numerous high profile international sport events that have been hosted here. It is also home to Scandinava's largest trade fair center.
- 1 Herning Station, Banegårdspladsen 6C, 7400 Herning. The town's main station
- 2 Herning Messecenter station. If you're headed for the trade fair center, this station is likely more convenient.
Most things are within walking distance.
- Taxi: Herning Taxi, tel: +45 97120777
- 1 HEART Herning Museum of Contemporary Art, Bitten & Aage Damgaards Plads 2, ☏ . Tu-S 10-16. A beautiful museum designed by the renowned American architect Steven Holl.
Around this museum has during the last 40 years grown a whole collection of artistic formations...
The museum area also contains The museum of Carl-Henning Pedersen & Else Alfelts. Two internationally known Danish artists.
The Sculpture Park Originally meant as an recreative area for the employees of the shirt factory.
The geometric Garden by C.Th. Sørensen
The Utzon house A prototype to a school house by Jørn Utzon
Elia The biggest sculpture in the northern part of Europe.
Herning hosts many conventions, exhibitions, etc.
- Baboon City (A world of fun!), Åkirkebyvej 10, ☏ . Friday: 12.00-21.00 Saturday and Sunday: 10.00-19.00. Action and fun, for children and adults. A great gaming arcade, rodeo bull, sumu wrestling and many many other things. 95 DKK for 4 hours.
- Fermaten, Smallegade 4, ☏ . Music and stand up. Fermaten is a "Stage" where different artists come to perform. Buy tickets here: billetten.dk
- 1 MCH Messecenter Herning, Vardevej 1, ☏ . One of Scandinavia's largest and most flexible experience centres. Every year they have about 900,000 guests for fairs and exhibitions, culture and events, meetings, conferences and parties as well as sporting events.
- Event Calendar for Herning. Event Calendar, lists livemusic, soccer/handball/hockey matches, and events for kids
- 2 Jyllands Park Zoo, Haunstrupvej 13, 6920 Videbæk (Drive west to the village of Haunstrup, then south), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This zoo park is about 20 minutes drive from Herning center. Several species from around the world, including monkeys and hyenas, giraffes and ostriches. Watch the fur seals perform or help feed the animals.
- 3 MCH Arena (two km south of city centre). Home of FC Midtjylland, who play in Danish SuperLiga, the top tier of association football in the country. This stadium has a capacity of 11,800
- 4 Jyske Bank Boxen. Multisports indoor venue, among others the host of the final of the 2019 Handball World Championship.
- GP Herning. A one day road bicycle race
Bredgade is the main pedestrian shopping street.
- Herning Centeret (Shopping Mall)), Merkurvej (Bus nr. 2 or Bus nr. 7), ☏ . Open: Monday-Wednesday:10.00-17.30 Thursday and Friday:10.00-19.00, Saturday: 10.00-15.00. The biggest shopping Mall in Central Jutland. 75 stores. There´s also dining options in the mall.
- Cafe Poulsen & Restaurant Upstairs, Bredgade 38, ☏ , ✉ Info@CafePoulsen.dk. Nice Cafe with sandwiches, pasta, salmon, etc. DKK 80.
- Papa's Pizza, Østergade 22B (In the shopping street), ☏ . Pizza, Durum, pasta and more. If you feel like a good beer, you can order one from Fox and Hounds (Across the street) and your Papa´s-waiter will get it for you. (If you feel like a good Pizza, when you´re at Fox And Hounds, you can do the same)
- Fox and Hounds (Scottish Pub), Østergade 17 (In the shopping street), ☏ . Good Beer and Whiskey. A beer: About 40 DKK.
- Decolux, Sandagervej 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed&Breakfast NW of the city, 30 min walking. Shares shower and kitchen. DKK 350.
- Hotel Skarrildhus, Sdr. Ommevej 4 · Skarrild. Hotel located outside Herning. Good conference facilities and nice rooms with view.