High Prairie developed when the railway from Edmonton to the Peace Country was chosen to go through the town as opposed to Grouard, a neighbouring village on the northwestern shore of Lesser Slave Lake. Today, High Prairie's main industries include agriculture, forestry, and oil and gas.
Due to its proximity to the western shores of Lesser Slave Lake, High Prairie has a thriving tourism industry, particularly in the warmer summer months. There are many attractions at the lake, including events such as the Golden Walleye Classic. Winagami Lake Provincial Park, approximately 33 km to the north of High Prairie, and Kimiwan Lake, approximately 49 km to the northwest, are attractions for bird-watching enthusiasts. Winagami Lake and Kimiwan Lake are within the general area where three major migration paths meet – the Central Flyway, the Mississippi Flyway, and the Pacific Flyway.
High Prairie is on Highway 2, 4 hours northwest of Edmonton.
The High Prairie Airport is 4 km south of the town; there are no scheduled flights.
- High Prairie & District Museum, 5301 49 St, ☏ . May-Aug: M-Sa 10AM-5PM; Sept-Apr: W-F 10AM-5PM. $2.
- 1 Hilliard's Bay Provincial Park (40 km NE of High Prairie; from Hwy 2 take Hwy 750 to Grouard, then go east on Willow Point Rd), ☏ . It's on the north-western shore of Lesser Slave Lake. The park has an overnight campground, a beach, boat launch site, and playgrounds.
- 2 Winagami Lake Provincial Park, Highway 679 (33 km NW of High Prairie), ☏ . Winagami Lake offers good boating opportunities, and the option to fish from the breakwater. Swim or relax on the sandy beach. If you enjoy birding, this is a good place to find many species of waterfowl, shorebirds and songbirds.
- Amiro's Steak House, 4651 53 Ave, ☏ .
- The Boondocks Grill, 5023 53 Ave, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Eva's Cafe, 4958 54 Ave, ☏ .
- Nado's, 5100 53 Ave, ☏ . Daily 11AM-11PM.
- The Vine Restaurant and Bar, 3905 51 Ave (Peavine Inn & Suites), ☏ .
- Brandy McCoy's Real Canadian Pub, 4944 53 Ave, ☏ .
- Days Inn, 4125 52 Ave, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Peavine Inn & Suites, 3905 51 Ave, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Raven Motor Inn, 5043 53 Ave, ☏ .
- Royal Star Motor Inn, 4653 53 Ave, ☏ .
Driftpile is 49 km (30 mi) east of High Prairie on Highway 2.
- 3 North Country Fair. Weekend around June 21. Six thousand or so hippies and friends come out every year at summer solstice for music and workshops.
Grouard, also known as Grouard Mission, is located 13 km (8 mi) north of Highway 2 on Highway 750, 33 km (21 mi) northeast of High Prairie.
- Native Cultural Arts Museum (St. Bernard’s Mission), 64 Mission St, Grouard (Northern Lakes College Grouard Campus), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Part of Northern Lakes College, the museum collection celebrates various aspects of Indigenous cultures, with a special focus on Métis and Cree peoples of northern Alberta. Interpretive guided tours of the museum and the St. Bernard’s Mission are offered year-round.
McLennan is 50 km (31 mi) northwest of High Prairie on Highway 2.
- Kimiwan Birdwalk, 302 3rd Ave NW, McLennan, ☏ . Boardwalk along Kimiwan Lake and an excellent sport for birdwatching. Interpretive Centre is open from May until September, while the birdwalk is open year-round.
Explore the east shore of Lesser Slave Lake and visit the town of Slave Lake.
|Routes through High Prairie|
|Peace River ← Falher ←||W E||→ Slave Lake → Edmonton|