Hirsholmene is a group of 10 small islands including Hirsholm, Græsholm, Lilleholm, Tyvholm, Kølpen and Deget. The islands are a nature reserve with only the island of Hirsholm having a permanent settlement. They are UNESCO covered Ramsar sites.
Hirsholm had in 1641 a church built and a school setup, and by 1800 there were about 100 inhabitants. The first lighthouse began service in 1838 and since 1853 the islands became property of the King. In 1861 the harbour was built and by 1870 the island of Hosholm had 225 settlers (the highest level reached). In 1970 the school finally closed.
The islands of Deget and Hirsholm still have bunkers from World War II.