Hof is a city in Upper Franconia in Bavaria. Hof, meaning farm estate, is a very common German place name, but this one is specifically Hof an der Saale. It was destroyed by fire in 1823 and had to be re-built, leading to an attractive unity of Biedermeyer architectural style. In the 20th century it was jokingly referred to as "the Bavarian Siberia" because with an elevation of 500 m it's distinctly cool, and because it was close to the borders with communist East Germany and Czechoslovakia. However this meant it enjoyed special subsidies until the fall of the wall, and it slumped when those were withdrawn after 1990. Tourism is nowadays a major part of the local economy.
- 1 Hof Main Station. There is a regional express (RE) from both Nuremberg and Dresden with hourly departures. as this used to be a through service, trains from both directions wait for each other in Hof. The lines towards Dresden and Leipzig are electrified while the line towards Nuremberg is not. Other connections consist Munich, Leipzig, Bamberg and Cheb in the Czech Republic.
Intercity buses in Germany on the lines from Berlin to Passau and from Berlin to Zurich stop in Hof.
The A 9, A 72 and A93 are forming a semi-circle in the west, east and north around the city.
The Stadtwerke Hof cover most of the city with a dozen bus routes. Other than that the city is not all that big and generally walkable.
- 1 Fernweh Park, Graben 26. all day. A park where numerous people have left signs of places they visited or come from. If you donate a sign yourself, you get a free tour. free.
- 2 Streichholzmuseum Wirth, Georg-Könitzer-Straße 19, 95028 Hof, ☏ . F 15:00 to 18:00. Showing figures built from matches as well as matchboxes
- 1 Untreusee. an artificial lake (2km by 700 meters) just out of town. It can be used for swimming, fishing and all types of water activities, including cruising on small craft. A restaurant is close by as a re several other things to do
- Kletterpark Untreusee, Stelzenhofstr (at the Untreusee). from March 28 to November 8: From 10:00 (holidays and weekends) or from 13:00 (Mo-Fr.). different rope climbing parcours with different difficulties child 12€ reduced 16€ adult 20€ multiple entry and family tickets available.
As this is Franconia, Bratwurst are obviously very much part of the local cuisine. Hof however has a special feature in the Wärschtlamo (Franconian for Sausage-man, high German would be "Würstchen-Mann") who serves sausages from a mobile stand, street food style. The Hof Bratwurst is made from lean pork and some beef. It is cut very finely with the addition of ice cubes, and then about 50 grams of sausage meat is filled into a pork gut with a diameter of 18-22 mm. It is usually sold and eaten in pairs.
- 1 Meinels Bas, Vorstadt 13, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Also has a beer garden on site mains from 5.50 €.
- 2 Gourmet Palast Hof, Ossecker Straße 175, 95030 Hof, ☏ . daily 11:30 - 15:00 and 17:30 - 23:30. Asian food and live-cooking buffet style soft drinks included in price Buffet lunch 13 €, dinner 23 €.
- 3 Kastaniengarten, Kulmbacher Str. 4, 95030 Hof, ☏ . Belonging to the Sorat Hotel upscale regional food daily 12:00 - 14:00 and 18:00 - 22:00.
- 4 Season's und Tante-Emma, Ludwigstraße 36, 95028 Hof, ☏ . Tu-Sat from 17:00. Season's is a restaurant while Tante-Emma is a coffee-bar
- 5 Bulut, Marienstr. 67, 95028 Hof, ☏ . M - F 11:00 - 22:00, Su 11:00 - 22:00. Turkish food
- [dead link] Jugendherberge Hof (Youth Hostel), Beethovenstraße 44, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. from 18€ per person.
- Hotel Strauss, Bismarckstraße 31, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. single from 47€ double from 76€.