Houma is a small city (about 40,000 people, not including suburbs) in south central Louisiana. It is the seat and largest city in Terrebonne Parish, and the center of the Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area. The region in total is home to a little over 200,000.
Bayou Terrebonne runs through the town roughly east to west between Main Street and Park Avenue, with the Intracostal Waterway running north to south.
Get in[edit source]
Houma, Louisiana is just off Highway 90 south New Orleans Louisiana.
Directions from New Orleans (approx. 59 miles or 1 hour, 15 minutes):
- Merge onto I-10 W (9.7 miles)
- Merge onto I-310 S via exit 220 to Boutte/Houma (12.0 miles)
- Exit at US-90 W toward Houma (30.07 miles)
- Turn left at LA-24 E toward Houma (7.3 miles)
Directions from Lafayette, LA (approx. 104 miles or 2 hours, 10 minutes):
- From I-10, merge onto US-167 S via the US-90/US-167 S exit 103A to Lafayette (2.6 miles)
- Continue on US-90 E (93.8 miles)
- Turn right at LA-24 E (7.3 miles)
Get around[edit source]
- 1 Bayou Terrebonne Waterlife Museum, 7910 W Park Ave, ☎ . Small museum focuses on local relationship to the wetlands habitat. $3.
- 2 Chauvin Sculpture Garden & NSU Folk Art Studio, 5337 Bayouside Dr, Chauvin, ☎ . Sculpture garden 8AM-5PM daily; art studio Sa-Su 11AM-4PM or by appointment. The garden has more than 100 concrete sculptures. Free.
- 3 Regional Military Museum, 1154 Barrow St, ☎ . Focuses on the military history and contributions of Houma and the surrounding area, with special focus on World War II. Veterans give tours of the exhibits. When they're not too busy, they'll let you try some "hands on" with some of the artifacts. Adults $3, seniors 55+ $2, students $1, children under 6 and active military free.
- 4 Southdown Plantation House, 1208 Museum Dr (just off Little Bayou Black Dr in the South west part of town), ☎ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. Historic plantation house is now home to the Terrebonne Museum of History and Culture. Adults $10, seniors 65+ and college students $8, children 6-18 $5, children under 6 free.
- 5 [formerly dead link]Terrebonne Folklife Cultural Center, 317 Goode St, ☎ . Tu-F 9AM-5PM. Local folk arts and crafts. $1.
- 1 Bayou Black Airboat Swamp Tours, 251 Marina Dr, Gibson, ☎ . 1 1/2 hours. Enter another world, as you venture into the interior of the swamps only accessible by airboat. See alligators, birds and other wildlife. $40 Adults / $20 13 and under.
- 1 Southland Mall, 5953 W Park Ave, ☎ . 10AM-9PM daily. Southland Mall offers Dillards, JCPenney, Sears and a hundred shops. MC, V, Discover and travelers checks accepted.
- Boudreau and Thibodeau's Cajun Cookin, 5602 W Main St, ☎ . 24 hours. Shrimp, crabs, crawfish, oysters, turtle, alligator, gumbo, etoufee, po-boys, salads, plate lunches and more. Credit cards accepted: A/E/, D, M/C, V.
- Cafe Dominique, 8013 Main St, ☎ . 5PM-10PM daily. Catering to the indulgent diner, as well as the health conscious foodie, our goal is to bring a new kind of dinning experience to the bayou by using organic produce, all natural and free range meats, along side the wonderful seafood from our local waters.
- Castalano's Deli & Catering, 7881 Main St, ☎ .
- Castalano's Deli & Catering, 6897 W Park Ave, ☎ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM. This location also has a drive through food pickup.
- Cafe Milano, 314 Belanger St (half a block off Main Street), ☎ . Medium priced Italian lunch and dinner. Lunch Mon-Fri; Dinner Mon-Sat; Jazz Brunch Sunday. Sometimes has live jazz other times as well.
- Coffee Zone, 7884 Main St, ☎ . M-F 7AM-4PM, Sa 8AM-3PM. Breakfast, lunch, coffee, or snacks. Free wi-fi computer access for customers; pay access for non-customers.
- Lunch Basket, 7937 Main St, ☎ . Local favorite for simple but tasty breakfast and lunch; reasonably priced.
- Aficionados, 314 Belanger St, ☎ . Piano bar located in downtown Houma. Aficionados, Houma’s most elegant watering hole.
- 1 Ramada Inn Houma, 1400 W Tunnel Blvd, ☎ .
- 2 MainStay Suites, 1650 Grand Caillou Rd (LA-57/Grand Caillou Rd), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. An extended stay hotel.
- 3 Carmel Inn, 400 E 1st St, Thibodaux, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- 4 Maison Dugas B&B, 222 Tudor St, ☎ . Family run B&B on northeast side of town. Ten miles to Chabert Medical Center and five minutes to route 90. Three bedrooms are for rent. One bedroom has a private bath. Two bedrooms share a bath. Rentals are available daily, weekly, or long term.
Telephone area code is 985.
Computer wi-fi can be found at the Coffee Zone listed above.
Go next[edit source]
- New Orleans, Louisiana's largest city and most popular visitor destination, is a 90 minute drive to the north east.
- Lafayette, the main city of Louisiana's "Cajun Country", is just over 2 hours to the west.
River Region (Plantation Country), to see the many historic plantations and other attractions in the area. Located in St. Charles, St. John, St. James parishes.
|Routes through Houma|
|Lafayette ← New Iberia ←||W E||→ Luling → New Orleans|