Old Hunstanton and Hunstanton are an adjoining town and village on the Norfolk coast. Known for being one of the few (or only) places on the east coast in England where the sun can be seen to set over the sea, the two places combine ancient heritage with traditional English seaside resort thrills.
The A149 is an 85 mile long coastal road that stretches from King's Lynn to Great Yarmouth. The road runs directly around the border of the town, with the B1161 (or "Oasis Way") leading off into the centre. A scenic and enjoyable route, though difficult for HGVs at places.
It is also possible to reach Hunstanton by North Beach Rd from the neighbouring village of Heacham. However, be aware that this is a narrow gravel road with no markings and is prone to flooding in poor weather conditions.
Although without a station of its own since 1969, Hunstanton is connected directly to King's Lynn railway station by numerous bus services, including the Norfolk Green 10/11 and Coasthopper.
Two long distance cycle paths both passing 2 miles S of town:
- Norfolk Coast Path. A long distance footpath running from the town to Sea Palling but also linking to the Peddlars Way long distance footpath
The Hunstanton area is relatively small and therefore there is only really the need to walk. To get to other villages, the Coasthopper bus is recommended.
- 1 The Red & White cliffs. This famous, unique geological phenomenon that stretches from the new town into the old village beaches is a true 'postcard picture' place. Good for fossil hunters. Watch out for fulmars that nest in the cliffs.
- 2 St Edmund's Chapel ruins. The arch of this Norman chapel dating from 1272 is now all that remains, but it is still an intriguing historical site.
- 3 Old Hunstanton Lighthouse. a lighthouse only by name, as the actual beacon was removed in 1922, this building is unusual in appearance and lies on the border between the town and village
- 4 Sea Life (Aquarium), Southern Promenade, Hunstanton, PE36 5BH, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10:00-16:00 (last entry 15:00). Sa Su 10:00-17:00 (last entry 16:00).. £15.60 (child under 3 free). Discounted for online ticket purchase..
- 1 Blackbeard's Adventure Crazy Golf, Southern Promenade, Hunstanton, PE36 5BH (Beside Sea Life Centre.), ☏ . Daily 09:00-19:00.. 18 hole adventure golf. Picnics allowed. Snacks available. On-site restaurant. £20 per family..
- CHS Pier Amusements
- Norfolk Lavender.
- Princess Theatre & Cinema.
- Searles Sea Tours, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Hunstanton Watersports (Kite surfing & windsurfing lessons), North Promenade, Hunstanton, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10:00-16:00.. Sales and tuition. Also paddle boarding. RYA Approved training centre.
- 3 Heacham Manor Golf Club, Hunstanton Rd, Heacham, PE31 7JX, ☏ . 18 hole golf course.
- 1 Tesco (Superstore/Supermarket), Southend Rd, Hunstanton, PE36 5AR, ☏ . M-Sa 06:00-00:00. Su 10:00-16:00.. Petrol station. ATMs. Wi-Fi. Cafe (shorter hours)
- 2 Sainsburys (Supermarket), 88 Westgate, Hunstanton, PE36 5EP, ☏ . M-Sa 08:00-21:00. Su 10:00-16:00. ATMs
- 3 The Norfolk Deli, 16 Greevegate, Hunstanton, PE36 6AA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 08:30-17:00. Su 10:00-16:00.. Free delivery within 5 miles.
- Lots of gift shops and novelty shops around the town.
- 4 Boots (Pharmacy), 19 High St, Hunstanton, PE36 5AB, ☏ . M-Sa 08:30-17:30. Su 10:00-15:00..
- 5 Fatbirds (Cycle shop), 12 Kings Lynn Road, Hunstanton, PE36 5HP, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 09:00-17:30. Sales, accessories and repairs.
- 1 The Neptune Restaurant, 85 Old Hunstanton Rd, Old Hunstanton, PE36 6HZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa 19:00-21:00. su 12:00-13:30 & 19:00-21:00.. Also accommodation.
- 2 The Northgate Indian Restaurant, 8-9 Northgate Precinct, Northgate, Hunstanton, PE36 6EA, ☏ . Daily 17:00-23:00.
- 3 Fishers of Hunstanton (Fish & Chip Restaurant & take-away), 2-4 Greevegate, Hunstanton, PE36 6BJ, ☏ .
- 4 Spice Garden (Indian Tandoori restaurant), 14 High St, Heacham, PE31 7ER, ☏ . Daily 17:00-23:30.
- 1 Salad Bowl Cafe & Ice Cream Parlour, Cliff Parade, Hunstanton, PE36 6DP, ☏ .
- 2 Honeystone (Pub, restaurant, B&B), 10 Southend Rd, Hunstanton, PE36 5AW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Costa Coffee, 26 High St, Hunstanton, PE36 5AF. M-Sa 08:00-18:00. Su 09:00-17:00..
- 4 The Ancient Mariner Inn, Golf Course Rd, Old Hunstanton, PE36 6JJ, ☏ . Also food.
- 1 Caley Hall Hotel, Old Hunstanton Rd, Old Hunstanton, PE36 6HH, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. AA 3 star hotel with 40 rooms. Dogs allowed (charged for). Free Wi-Fi.
- 2 Magazine Wood B&B, Peddars Way, Sedgeford, Hunstanton (Sedgeford is signposted at Lavender Corner on the main road into Hunstanton), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Bed and breakfast overlooking the North Norfolk coast. Set in 3 acres of park and woodland looking over the coast from the village of Sedgeford. Villages such as Burnham Market, Brancaster, Thornham and Holme are a few minutes drive away. £40.
- 3 The Shellbrooke Guest House, 9 Cliff Terrace, Hunstanton, PE36 6DY, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Also restaurant.
- 4 The Lodge, Old Hunstanton Rd, Old Hunstanton, PE36 6HX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 3*. Also restaurant and bar.
- 5 YHA Backpackers Hostel, 15 Avenue Road, Hunstanton, PE36 5BW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 17:00-21:30, check-out: 08:00-10:00. Reception 08:00-10.00 & 17:00-21:30.
- 6 The Gate Lodge Guest House, 2 Westgate, Hunstanton, PE36 5AL, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Free Wi-Fi.
- 7 Cori House B&B, 9 Church St, Hunstanton, PE36 5HA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00-22:00, check-out: by 10:30. Min 2 night stays at weekends. Free Wi-Fi. £37.50-£52.50 per person per night (discounts for stays over 3 nights)..
- 1 Post Office, 21 High Street, Hunstanton, PE36 5AB.
- 2 Post Office, 38 Old Hunstanton Road, Old Hunstanton, PE36 6HS.
- 3 Nearest Accident & Emergency: The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Gayton Road, King's Lynn, PE30 4ET (17 miles to S). 24/7.
- 4 Hunstanton Medical Practice (GP or Primary Healthcare), Valentine Rd, Hunstanton, PE36 5DN, ☏ . M 08:00-18:30. Tu 08:00-13:00 & 14:00-18:30. W 08:00-18:30. Th 08:00-13:00 & 14:00-18:30. F 08:00-18:30..
- 5 Hunstanton Dental Practice, 38 Northgate, Hunstanton, PE36 6DR, ☏ . M 09:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00. Tu 09:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00. W 08:00-15:00. Th 09:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00. F 08:00-15:00.
- 6 Lincolnshire Co-op Pharmacy, 8 Valentine Rd, Hunstanton, PE36 5DN, ☏ . M-F 08:30-18:00 (Pharmacist normally at lunch 13:00-14:00, store remains open)..