Husum is the principal city on the North Sea coast of Schleswig-Holstein. The combination of city life, nature and typical North Frisian tradition makes Husum a very special travel destination on the North Sea. The region is popular with locals and migratory birds.
Husum is the birthplace of Theodor Storm, North Frisia's "national poet" whose most famous work "The Rider on the White Horse" ("Der Schimmelreiter" in the German original) deals with the tragic story of a storm flood. During the 19th century Husum changed hands from Denmark to Prussia and ultimately the newly formed German Empire, which however changed little about the ethnic makeup of the town. The Prussian authorities forbade the open display of the Danish flag ("Dannebrog") which led some local Danes to breed the "Husumer Protestschwein" ("Husum protest pig") whose skin has a pattern similar to the Danish white cross on red ground.
As of 2018, it had a population of 23,000 people.
The following three sites are run by the "Museumsverband Nordfriesland"
- 1 Nordfriesland Museum (Nissenhaus Husum), Herzog-Adolf-Straße 25 25813 Husum, ✉ email@example.com. Summer: daily 10:00-17:00; winter: Tu-Su 11:00-17:00.
- 2 Schloss vor Husum, König-Friedrich-V.-Allee 25813 Husum, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mar-Oct: Tu-Su 11:00-17:00; Nov-Feb: Sa Su 11:00-17:00. The name derives from the fact that it was outside "Husum proper" at the time of its construction €5 adult, reduced €3.50.
- 3 Ostenfelder Bauernhaus, Nordhusumer Straße 13 25813 Husum, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Summer: Tu-Su 14:00-17:00; winter: closed. Adult €2.50, reduced €2.
- 4 Marienkirche. Tired of red brick? You're in luck, this church is made from yellow brick.
- 5 Kirchlein am Meer (Little church by the Sea). A brick-gothic church built in the 13th century.
- 6 Weihnachtshaus Husum, Westerende 46 25813 Husum, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A small museum dedicated to all things Christmas. Adults €3.
- 7 Asmussen-Woldsen-Denkmal (Tine Brunnen). A fountain with a monument on the central market square.
- 8 Wasserturm Husum. A former water tower which you can climb to get a good view of the mostly flat landscape.
- 9 Schifffahrtsmuseum Nordfriesland, Zingel 15, 25813 Husum. A museum dedicated to North Frisia's seafaring history. It has exhibits on shipbuilding, fishing and whaling. Adults €4, kids €2.
- 1 Husum Bad, Flensburger Chaussee, 25813 Husum, ☏ . Indoor pool.
- 2 Freibad Schobüll, Nordseestraße 35, 25813 Husum, ☏ . Open air pool.
- Crocus flowering. Over four million lilac crocuses (Crocus Napolitanus) are flowering in front of the Schloss. Why and when they were planted is still unclear, but they are a delight to behold nonetheless
- 1 Al Porto, Kleikuhle 7, 25813 Husum, ☏ . A pizza place. You can call ahead to reserve a table.
- 2 Ban Thai, Norderstraße 57, 25813 Husum, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Thai food
- 3 Dragseth's Gasthof, Ziegel 11, 25813 Husum, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Local food
- 4 Fischhaus Loof, Kleikuhle 7, 25813 Husum, ☏ . Fish place with a nice outdoor section.
- 5 Das Eucken, Süderstraße 2, 25813 Husum, ☏ . Inside the vaults of the old Gymnasium.
- 1 Campingplatz Seeblick, Nordseestr. 39, 25813 Husum OT Schobüll, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Husumer Campingplatz, Dockkoogstraße 17, 25813 Husum, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Jugendherberge Husum (youth hostel), Schobüller Str. 34, 25813 Husum, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Altes Zollamt, Kleikuhle 1-2, 25813 Husum, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 Gästehaus Winther, Engelsburger Weg 2, 25813 Husum, ☏ .
- 6 Hotel & SPA Rosenburg, Schleswiger Chaussee 65, 25813 Husum, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 7 Hotel Altes Gymnasium, Süderstraße 2-10, 25813 Husum, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 8 Thomas, Zingel 7-9, 25813 Husum, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Double from €99 including breakfast.