North Hyderabad, also known as Secunderabad or Sikandarabad (/sɪkəndərˈɑːbɑːd/), is a district in Hyderabad. It was founded in 1806 as a British cantonment (permanent military camp). To this day it contains large military presence, now of the Indian military. Secunderabad and the rest of Hyderabad are together referred to as the "twin cities".
Secunderabad is connected with the rest of Hyderabad through a metro line. The line starts from the MG Bus Station and ends at the JBS Parade Ground.
- Ujjaini Mahankali Temple, Secunderabad. Free.
- 1 Moula Ali Dargah. 400 stairs brings you to a place of worship built by the Asif Jahis. The Moula Ali Dargah was built in the memory of Hazrat Ali, the son-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad. Legend has it that Yakoob, a eunuch in the court of Ibrahim Quli, went to the hill after he saw Hazrat Ali seated on it. To his surprise, he saw the impression Ali's palm on a stone, which he had dreamt. He had the impression cut out and installed in a shrine. Ibrahim Shah later built a mosque beside the dargah. A Ashurkhana , a Baradari (pavilion) and an Nqqar khana (place for beating drums) were built during the Qutb Shahi period.
- 2 The Hyderabad Public School, SP Road, Begumpet (Nature Cure Hospital MMTS Station), ☏ . A former Nizam's palace and the Jagirdar's College. This Institution was founded in 1923 and is one of the oldest and largest public schools in the country. The campus is a recognised heritage site.
- 3 Shamirpet (24 km away to the north of Secunderabad). Shamirpet has a beautiful lake and a deer park. The peaceful environs make it a great picnic spot. AP Tourism offers comfortable cottages facilities for accommodation (under private management), while the forest lodge can be booked with the AP Forest Department office at Saifabad.
- 1 Dhola ri Dhani, Kompally, Medchal Rd (11 km from Secunderabad at Kompally on Medchal Highway). Ethnic Rajasthani village. A unit of Gupta's Hotel & Motels and is recognised by Andhra Pradesh Government as a theme restaurant and tourist attraction. In the evening, the whole village is lit up with 2,000 lanterns and a village fair is staged.
- 2 Army Golf Course Club (Bolarum Golf Club), ☏ . Risala Bazar, Bolarum, Secunderbad.
- Park View Enclave Tennis Centre, ☏ . Boinpally Secunderabad.
- Ace Tennis Academy (Begumpet), ☏ .
- 1 General Bazaar. Budget clothes shopping.
- 2 Monda Market, Secunderabad (near Secunderabad railway station). Vegetable market.
- Alpha (opposite Secunderabad Railway Station), ☏ . Popular for beja fry, available only in the morning and served for breakfast.
- Paradise Restaurant, Paradise Circle, M G Rd, Secunderabad. 11:30-23:00. This restaurant is one of the oldest places serving Biryani and of late has lost some of its sheen owing to explosion of business Also serves the best falooda in Hyderabad. It has both a sit-down restaurant and takeaway. They have various branches, but confusingly there imitators with similar names. There is another branch at Kothapet which is roughly 3 km from Dilsuknagar
- Aangan, 1-8-1/0/B, Yatri Nivas, Sardar Patel Rd, Secunderabad, ☏ , , . 10:30-23:30. Mughlai, Chinese and Hyderabadi dishes. ₹ 300.
- Nanking, 103 Parklane, S D Rd, Secunderabad (near Hussian Travels), ☏ , , . 11:30-15:30, 18:30-23:00. Hyderabad's oldest Chinese restaurant.
- Utsav, 221 Tivoli, Secunderabad, ☏ . 11:00-15:30, 19:30-23:00. Indian vegetarian cuisine, has received good reviews. ₹ 400.
- Villa No 1-8-46, P.G. Rd, Sindhi Colony, Secunderabad (next to Food world), ☏ .
- Malgudi, 6-3-1192/2/1-16, 1st Floor, My Home Tycoon, Begumpet (Lifestyle Building), ☏ , , . The name is inspired by the fictional South Indian town created by R K Narayan. It has an ambience that suits the name, with waiters clad in dhotis. Serves food from the four southern states that are rare in other restaurants, like gutti vankai or kodi pulusu. Service is extremely fast. In Hyderabad, it has 3 branches. ₹ 500.
- Tulips - The Coffee Shop, 1-26, Hotel Green Park, Greenlands Rd, Begumpet, ☏ , . 24 hr. Famous for its midnight biryani and buffet.
- Cloud9, ICICI bank near old airport. Have dance floor but not a very good crowd.
- Passport, Ramada Hotel Manohar, (Old) Airport Exit Road Begumpet, ☏ , .
- Sparks, My home Tycoon, Building 6-3-1192/2/1-16 Begumpet, ☏ . 11:00-23:30. Redone pub, nice hip ambience, reasonable rates.
- 10 Downing Street, #10, Ground Floor, My Home Tycoon Begumpet, ☏ , . 11:00-23:00. Expensive place, nice music, good crowd, but small dance floor. ₹ 300-1,000.
- Torque (The pub), Hotel Green Park, Greenlands Begumpet, ☏ . 18:00-02:30. No cover charge, large screen TVs for sports fans, a separate smoking room, reasonable prices, good food, and nightly dance music mixed by resident and guest DJs daily; Saturday night is ladies night (ladies drink for free 20:00-22:00).
- Dwaraka Heritage, 116, Chenoy Trade Centre, Parklane, Secunderabad, ☏ , . 50 rooms, basic facilities, internet ₹ 600-1,100.
- Parklane, 115, Park Lane, S D Rd, Secunderabad, ☏ , , . 30 years old and looks its age. Rooms are comfortable, with both air-conditioned and non air-conditioned rooms. Breakfast is complimentary. The hotel caters mainly to senior government officials. Park Lane has a vegetarian restaurant Madhura. ₹ 950-1,800.
- Asrani International, Plot Number 179, M G Rd, Secunderabad, ☏ , , . Check-in: 24hr. Has most basic facilities you'd expect from a business hotel. Located in Secunderabad, which is far from Hi-tech city, but close to the main city. Hosts a popular pub called Spanish Fly. ₹ 2,500-3,500.
- Grand Solitaire, 1-240, 41 & 43, Parklane, Secunderabad, ☏ . Clean and functional hotel, suitable for business travellers. ₹ 3,200-4,500.
- Leo Continental (Chobbs), Number 2-4-77, M G Rd, Secunderabad, ☏ . Small rooms, but good facilities otherwise. ₹ 2,500-6,000.
- 1 Hotel Baseraa, 1-9-167/168, Sarojini Devi Rd, Secunderabad, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. If the location fits, this is an excellent choice for a good, reasonably priced hotel. The rooms are plush without being opulent. Free WiFi and a complimentary breakfast. Dining is available at Mehfill a restaurant with live Ghazal shows every evening. It also has a coffee shop and a cricket themed pub. ₹ 2,500-6,500 (extra for foreigners paying in dollars).
- 2 Minerva Grand Secunderabad, Sarojini Devi Rd, Secunderabad, ☏ . This is closer to the city centre. It has a lounge bar Enigma, and Fiesta, a 24-hr coffee shop. ₹ 4,000-8,000.
- 3 Kamat Lingapur, 1-10-44/2, Chikoti Gardens, Begumpet, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. This used to be close to the airport before they moved the airport. Adequate place to stay for the average traveller who isn't looking for frills. Has a pretty good restaurant Shrirang which offers vegetarian food. Free breakfast — the menu heavily favours South Indian vegetarian. ₹ 2,500-3,500.
- 4 The Manohar (formerly: Fortune Select Manohar), Old Airport Exit Road, Begumpet, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. As the name suggests, this used to be the hotel closest to the old airport. Though it has lost that advantage now that the airport has moved, it hasn't lost the advantage of being close to the busy commercial area of Begumpet. Free breakfast, and hi-speed internet is available, well-equipped business centre. Has good, but not great dining options. ₹ 10,000-18,000.