Ibarra has preserved much of its colonial architecture in its city center and its plazas are clean and picturesque. It is a good place for those going to Otavalo's markets to stay it, if you want to get away from the tourists yet still be a short bus ride from the market.
It is 2.5 hours north of Quito on the Panamerican highway, and about 30 minutes by bus from Otavalo.
Ibarra has a modern bus station, although some buses that pass through the town don't go there. The bus from Quito costs $2.5$ and takes 2.5 hr. To Tulcán costs 3$ and takes 2.5 hr.
A taxi within the city costs $1.
- Tren de la Libertad, ☏ (in Ecuador). Th-Su and holidays 11:25 to 16:40 - passengers must arrive 30 min before departure time. Advance booking is recommended. A 2-hour train ride Ibarra – Salinas – Ibarra on a type of bus converted to run on the railway line. With seven tunnels and tall bridges across steep canyons, the la Libertad Train travels from Ibarra to Salinas. In Salinas you’ll discover colorful murals commemorating the history and culture of Afro-ecuadorian people. Bring a light jacket, walking shoes, hat, sunscreen (SPF 70 at least), sunglasses, camera, cash and insect repellant. Altitude ranges from 1,600 to 2,200 meters above sea level. The temperature ranges from 14° to 25°C. A guarded parking area is available at Ibarra Station. Ibarra is 126 km north from Quito - 2½-3 hour’s drive. In Otavalo there are paid parking lots nearby the railway station. Otavalo is 90 km north from Quito –a 2-2½ hours’ drive. Adult $30; child, senior or person with disabilities $21.
- Lago Yahuarcocha. A beautiful lake 3 km from Ibarra. It is possible to take boat trips, go fishing or paragliding. Has hotels and restaurants specialising in fish dishes. Also has a racetrack which hosts local car and bike racing.
- Valle del Chota. An area populated by African-Ecuatorian descendants. It is possible to visit typical villages and go fishing, rafting or kayaking.
- Otavalo. This town is famous for its market. It is 30 mins away by bus. Buses leave every 10 minutes and cost $0.41.
- Paragliding. Fly Ecuador offers paragliding for $60 and rafting for $40. They are on Oviedo 3 blocks west of the tourist office.
- Chifu Oriental. Good Chinese restaurant on Calle Bolivar 2 blocks south of Gomez de la Torre.
- Olor Cafe, on the main square. Great coffee, has a "CNN breakfast" for $4.50.
- Heladeria Rosalia Suarez. More than a hundred years old, you can watch the workers making the ice cream manually.
- Hotel Plaza Victora, Bolivar 12-101 y Rafael Larrea, ☏ . A comfortable hotel in the city centre. Single/double with bathroom and TV $15/25$..
- 1 Finca Sommerwind, Autopista Yahuarcocha, km 8 Ibarra (GPS: N 00°22'51,0" W 78°05'22,1'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Great place outside of town. Nice facilities, wonderful hot showers.