Icod de los Vinos was established in 1501 and, as its name implies, is known for its vineyards (Icod = the indigenous Guanche kingdom of Icode, de los Vinos = 'of the wines'). The town is also known for its banana plantations. Most visitors come here to visit its magnificent drago tree.
- 1 Información Turistica (Tourist Information), C/ San Sebastián, 6, ☎ . M-F 09:00-19:00.
- 1 Estación de Autobuses (Estación de Guaguas / Bus Station), Avda Francisco Miranda, s/n. Information centre: M-F 08:10-12:00 15:00-18:30, Sa Su and holidays 06:00-09:15 13:30-15:30. From Puerto de la Cruz, Titsa bus 354 runs daily 06:20-20:30 (€3.60, 45 min, leaves every ½ hr). From Costa Adeje and Las Americas, bus 460 operates 05:45-20:00 (€6.05, 2 hrs, leaves every 2 hrs). Bus 363 connects the town with Garachico (€1.45, 11 min, leaves every 30-60 min).
The TF-5 from Puerto de la Cruz terminates here, and TF-42 continues along the coast to Garachico and Buenavista del Norte. TF-82 connects Icod de los Vinos with Costa Adeje and Las Americas in the south. A clearly-signed underground 2 car park (paid) is located close to the main sights, with convenient public toilets (free).
Except for the Cueva del Viento and the beach, the main sights are easily accessible by foot.
A 2 Radio Taxi stand (Rambla Perez del Cristo 4, tel. +34 922 121 600) is located around the corner from the main church.
- 1 Parque del Drago (Drago Milenario / Drago Tree Park). Daily 09:00-18:00. The millenary tree that symbolizes the city, the tree is not actually a thousand years old but estimated to be more likely 600-800 years. With a height of 18m and a trunk diameter of about 10m, it is the largest and oldest known drago tree of its species in the world. In 2000 a botanic garden was developed around the tree to protect it from pollution and vandalism; the garden has a number of specimens of typical Canarian flora.
The 3 park entrance is around the corner on C/ del Barranco. Travellers who wish to avoid the admission fee can admire the tree from the nearby 4 C/ Arcipreste Osuna which overlooks the garden. €5.
- 2 Iglesia de San Marcos (Church of St. Mark), Plaza de San Marcos, s/n. Irregular hrs. Built in the early 16th century on the site of an earlier 15th-century chapel, the church is the oldest in town and is notable for its Renaissance portal. Also noteworthy are the carved wooden ceiling and the silver-embossed Baroque altar.
- 3 Cueva del Viento, C/ Los Piquetes, 51, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Sa 09:00-16:00. The largest lava tube cave in Europe and the fifth-largest in the world. It can be visited in small guided tours. Long trousers and good boots are required, and prior booking is essential. €20 (adults), €8.50 (children 5-12).
- 1 Playa de San Marcos. Has a black sand beach.
- 1 Restaurante Carmen, Avda de Canarias, 1, ☎ . An established restaurant serving typical Canarian fare. €13 set menu.
- 2 Restaurante Los Faroles, Ctra el Amparo, 77, ☎ . Offers typical Canarian specialities, such as rabbit in salmorejo, goat meat in sauce, and tasty sauces (mojos), accompanied by wrinkled potatoes (papas arrugadas). Also serves vegetarian and children's set menus. For dessert you can try a bienmesabe, a typical almond dessert.
Great wines are produced in Tenerife and Icod de los Vinos, especially white wines. Local productions are made with grape varieties listán blanco or listán tinto, and tintilla.
- 1 Hotel Emblemático San Marcos, C/ Hercules, 11, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00-17:00, check-out: 08:00-12:00. Located in an 18th-century manor, the hotel has a sun terrace, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. Doubles €95+, includes breakfast.
- 2 Hotel San Agustín, C/ San Agustín, 18, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00-22:00, check-out: 08:00-12:00. Has an onsite bar, non-smoking rooms, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. Doubles €80+.