US Highway 20 runs along the south side of town, linking Independence with Dubuque to the east and Waterloo-Cedar Falls to the west. Other routes include Iowa Highway 939, which parallels US 20, and Iowa Highway 150, which runs north-south and links to Interstate 380 about 15 miles south to town, providing access to Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.
- 1 Independence Mental Health Institute, 2277 Iowa Ave, ☎ . Tours by appointment only. An old state mental asylum constructed in 1873, built under the Kirkbride Plan. The hospital is still in operation. Free.
- 2 Wapsipinicon Mill, 1st St W along the west bank of the Wapsipinicon River, ☎ . Mid May-mid Sep: Tu-Su noon-4PM. Originally built as a flour mill in 1875, and later used to produce stock feed for farm animals. Operated as a historic museum today. Free.
- 1 [dead link]Checkered Flag Sports Bar, 903 1st St W, ☎ . M-Th noon-midnight, F noon-2AM, Sa 11AM-2AM, Su 11AM-10PM. Sports bar with pool table and video slots.
- 2 The Sanity Room, 111 1st St E, ☎ . Tu-Th 4PM-10PM, F 3:30PM-11PM, Sa 1PM-11PM. A mental hospital-themed lounge located in the back of an antiques store.
- 1 Best Western, 2100 Swan Lake Blvd (at Iowa Ave, off US 20 exit 252), ☎ , toll-free: . Fitness room, indoor heated pool, free wireless internet, free breakfast. No pets. $110+.
- 2 Super 8, 2000 1st St W, ☎ . Free wireless internet, pets allowed. $80+.
|Routes through Independence|
|Fort Dodge ← Waterloo ←||W E||→ Dyersville → Dubuque|