Inistioge is a beautiful village located on the Kilkenny to New Ross road. It is down in a valley. It has a continental feel to it. Despite the economic boom which Ireland experienced Inistioge's essential charm remains unblemished. Any new housing estates are tucked away down a side road. It's centre is a lovely cosy square. If you have seen the films "Circle of Friends" or "Widow's Peak", you have got a sneak preview of Inistioge for they were filmed here. From the square a street rises steeply bringing you towards the old Woodstock Estate. Inistioge is unusual in that both the Church of Ireland and the Roman Catholic church sit side by side opposite the square on your right hand side as you enter from Kilkenny. Indeed as you enter from the Kilkenny side there are lovely flower beds on the sweep of the bend before the village. Between Thomastown and Inistioge before you cross the river Nore there is a most magnificent panoramic view. For a spectacular view of Inistioge itself, stop just before the gates into the Woodstock Estate and look to your left. Fabulous. Another lovely view of Inistioge is to cross the river and look back from the other side. Postcard stuff. The local post office is in the square. The nearest Garda station is in Thomastown which is five miles away. There is a supermarket opposite the church.
Inistioge is on the R700 between Kilkenny City and New Ross. The drive from Kilkenny takes you through Bennettsbridge and Thomastown. The five mile stretch from Thomastown is beautiful as it runs parallel with the river Nore. There is no train station in Inistioge. The nearest one is five miles away in Thomastown. There is a bus which runs between Kilkenny and New Ross and vice versa.
Inistioge is tiny. Bar going to the Woodstock Estate everywhere of interest is five minutes from the square. The road up to Woodstock is very steep and narrow. If driving you will need good breaks especially on the return journey.
- Woodstock Estate. Located about two miles from Inistioge high above the village. It was home to the Tighe Family. The house was gutted in 1922. In 1999 Kilkenny County Council started the process of restoring the gardens to their former glory. The work so far is impressive. Highlights include the longest Monkey Puzzle walk in Europe and the stunning glass house. To see the house reduced to a shell is distressing, but there are plans to stabilise what remains. There are also restored gardens outside the estate. Before you walk/drive through the formal entrance take a look to your left for a panoramic view over the village. Spectacular. €4.
- The Square. Sit in the square with a nice cool drink and enjoy the laid back atmosphere and quaint surroundings. There is something almost continental about Inistioge.
- Riverside. It is nice just to sit in one of the cafes on the riverside and kickback. There is a nice pathway and garden just at the river beside the impressive bridge.
- New Ross is located ten miles south east along the R700 in County Wexford. It is from here that the ancesters of the late President John F. Kennedy left for America. There is a replica of a famine ship called the Dunbrody moored on the quay in the town.
- Graiguenamanagh is located several miles north of Inistioge. It is home to Duiske Abbey. It is a pleasant small town.
- Thomastown is located five miles north west along the R700. It is home to the finest cistercian ruin in Ireland Jerpoint Abbey. Also the prestigious Mount Juliet estate is located near the town.