Itaituba is a city of about 101,000 people (2020) in Pará. It sits on the west bank of the Tapajós River
Boats leave Santarém from the Praça Tiradentes port from Monday to Saturday at 16:00 and on Sunday at 14:00. The ride takes 14 to 17 hours and costs R$50.
Fast boats leave at 13:00 and take 8 or 9 hours.
- Cooapfopa company - boats from Santarém. schedules
There are fast boats from Itaituba to Santarém.
- Princesa do Tapajós: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 13:00. About R$70 to R$80.
- Veloz: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
If driving into Itaituba from Santarém or from the east, you will need to pay R$20 (price per car, regardless of number of passengers) to take a ferry across the river.
Car rentals About R$100 per day, plus insurance. Most open regular office hours (i.e. get there before 16:00). Most are closed on Sundays.
- Chicão: +55 93 3518-7199, +55 93 9976-5214
- J. Farias – +55 93 3518-1055
- Jacy Car – +55 93 3518-3025
Itaituba is a good base for exploring the Amazônia National Park, about 50 km to the west.
- 1 Amazônia National Park. To visit the nearby Amazônia National Park, you must obtain permission from IBAMA. They have an office in Itaituba.
- 2 Instituto Brasileiro do Meio Ambiente / Parque Nacional da Amazônia (IBAMA / Parque Nacional da Amazônia), Av. Mal. Rondon, s/n. Aeroporto Velho (Take a taxi.), ☏ , . Office: daily 08:00-12:00, 14:00-18:00. To visit the Amazônia National Park, you need to get a permit. One can be obtained here. You need your passport - maybe also a photocopy and some 3x4 cm photos. Call ahead because "office hours" may be variable. free.
- Parque Nacional do Jamanxim, near Itaituba, Pará (head south from Itaituba along road 163, about 100 km), ☏ . Contact: Avenida Brigadeiro Haroldo Veloso, 975. Bairro Boa Esperança, Itaituba, Pará. CEP: 68.181-030
There are small shops and snack vendors near the port.
- 1 Hotel Riosinho, Avenida São José, 77 - Centro, ☏ .
- 2 Juliana Park Hotel, Tv. João Pessoa, 31, ☏ , .
- 3 Hotel Dantas, Av. Dr. Hugo de Mendonça, 728 - Centro, ☏ .
- 4 Santa Rita Palace, Tv. Treze de Maio, 144 - Comércio, ☏ .
There is free wifi near the waterfront.
- Boats to Santarém leave daily at 16:00.
- Fordlândia is a small historic town on the east bank of the Tapajós River. It can be arrived at by bus or boat.