Itaituba is a city of about 85,000 people in Pará. It sits on the west bank of the Tapajós River
Boats leave Santarém from the Praça Tiradentes port from Monday to Saturday at 4 PM and on Sunday at 2 PM. The ride takes 14 to 17 hours and costs R$50.
Fast boats leave at 1 PM and take 8 or 9 hours.
Cooapfopa company - boats from Santarém. schedules
There are fast boats from Itaituba to Santarém. Princesa do Tapajós: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 1 PM. About R$70 to R$80. Veloz: Tuesday, Thurssday and Saturday.
If driving into Itaituba from Santarém or from the east, you will need to pay R$20 (price per car, regardless of number of passengers) to take a ferry across the river.
Car rentals About R$100 per day, plus insurance. Most open regular office hours (i.e. get there before 4 PM). Most closed on Sundays.
- Chicão: +55 93 3518-7199, +55 93 9976-5214
- J. Farias – +55 93 3518-1055
- Jacy Car – +55 93 3518-3025
Itaituba is a good base for exploring the Amazônia National Park, about 50 km to the west.
To visit the nearby Amazônia National Park, you must obtain permission from IBAMA. They have an office in Itaituba.
- Instituto Brasileiro do Meio Ambiente / Parque Nacional da Amazônia (IBAMA / Parque Nacional da Amazônia), Av. Mal. Rondon, s/n. Aeroporto Velho. Itaituba – PA. (Take a taxi.), ☎ . office hours. To visit the Amazônia National Park, you need to get a permit. One can be obtained here.
You need your passport - maybe also a photocopy and some 3x4 cm photos. free.
There are small shops and snack vendors near the port.
- Hotel Riosinho, Avenida São José, 77 - Centro, Itaituba - PA, 68180-080, ☎ .
- Juliana Park Hotel, Tv. João Pessoa, 31, Itaituba - PA, 68180-630, ☎ .
- Hotel Dantas, Av. Dr. Hugo de Mendonça, 728 - Centro, Itaituba - PA, 68180-005, ☎ .
- Santa Rita Palace, Tv. Treze de Maio, 144 - Comércio, Itaituba - PA, 68180-635, ☎ .
There is free wifi near the waterfront.
Boats to Santarém leave daily at 4 PM.