Despite what you may think, Itzehoe is not pronounced with a German "ö" sound at the end, but rather with a long "o", so the correct pronunciation sounds almost like "It's a hoe".
- Tourist Info (Stadtmanagement Itzehoe GmbH), Breite Straße 4, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Mo-Fr: 10:00-18:00 Sa:10:00-16:00.
There are several Intercities daily from places as far away as Cologne or Dresden, some trains even go to Frankfurt. They all go on to Westerland on the island of Sylt where they terminate. Furthermore there is service by regional trains to the rest of Schleswig Holstein and to Hamburg-Altona.
Autobahn A23 as well as Bundesstraße B 5, B 77 and B 206 connect the town with the surrounding places.
- Harbor, ☎ , fax: . Despite not being directly at the coast, Itzehoe has a small harbor, where you could tow your boat when cruising in small craft
Itzehoe is a rather small city with a spacious pedestrianized core. You should be able to get to all points of interest without a car.
- Wenzel Hablik Museum, Reichenstraße 21, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Museum dedicated to a painter and graphic artist who lived in Itzehoe between 1907 - 1934. €3,50/2,00.
The inner city is a prime shopping destination for locals and tourists alike.
- Holstein Center, Brunnenstraße 17, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mo-Fr: 9:00-19:00 Sa:9:00-18:00. A shopping center
- Hotel Adler, Lindenstraße 72, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. single from 45€ double from 80€ w/o breakfast.
Itzehoe is a good point of origin if you want to explore the German North Sea coast. Furthermore the Kiel Canal, the busiest in the world, is just a couple of kilometers to the northwest (A23 crosses it) and also easily reachable by bike. If you haven't been to Sylt already, take a train and take it all in. Büsum, some 30 km to the northwest is the point of departure for ferries to Heligoland, and rather well known locally for its Krabben (scientifically: Crangon crangon). If you feel a big city is what you want to experience next, Hamburg is a little less than 50 km in the other direction.
The hamlet of Wacken, famous for its heavy metal festival is not far from Itzehoe. Itzehoe is the closest train station to the festival from where an official shuttle service gets metalheads to the festival.