Very few tourists make it to Izhevsk, but is an interesting destination for anyone interested in the Udmurt culture or the AK-47 Kalashnikov, which was manufactured in Izhevsk. It is an industrial city but it is worth a visit to watch Udmurt folk dances, eat exotic foods, and meet locals that don't often see foreigners.
Izhevsk has 630,000 residents. Due to its arms manufacturing industry, Izhevsk was a closed city to all foreigners until after the collapse of the Soviet Union. It is also one of the least religious cities in Russia, with over half of the population identifying as "spiritual but not religious" or atheist.
- 1 Izhevsk Airport (IJK IATA) (15 km (9.3 mi) east of the city centre). The airport serves small airliners, which operate flights to/from Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Samara, and Ufa.
Russian Railways operates trains to major cities in Russia; search for "Ijevsk" on its website. Trains are available to/from Moscow (daily, 17 hours; from 3600 руб), Yekaterinburg (11 hours, From 900 руб), Kazan (5 hours, from 900 руб), and Perm Station 2 (8 hours, from 1100 руб).
The Trans-Siberian Railway stops at Glazov, from where you can take a regional train (4 hours, 900 руб) or bus to Izhevsk.
Izhevsk has trams, buses, minibuses, trolleybuses, and taxis.
- 1 Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.
- Trinity Cemetery Church.
- 2 Kalashnikov Museum.
- 3 Udmurtia State Circus.
- Esplanade and Izhevsk Lake Embankment.
- 4 The People's Friendship Monument.
- The Square of the 50th Anniversary of the October Revolution. Includes The Arsenal, a neoclassical building which houses the Museum of Local Lore.
- Izhmash Museum. Exhibits featuring all sorts of locally produced armaments to motorcycles.
- 5 Udmurt Zoo.
- Statues of Lenin, Pelmeni, Crocodile Gena
- 6 Kirov Park. A huge park between the Zoo and the lake.
- Go see the popular local ice hockey team, HC Izhstal.
At the central market (beside the bus station) you can purchase many things, fruits, vegetables, meat and fish, or outside you will find clothing, fur hats and gloves household goods and a variety of other items.
- Brauplatz, Borodina 25, ☏ . Restaurant & brewery.
- Gorkiy Sad, Maksima Gorkogo 72, ☏ . Nice presentation, with white tablecloths.
- Gorod, Karla Marksa 177, ☏ . English menus and a French countryside ambiance.
- Hot Pelmen (Горячий пельмень), Kommunarov 230, ☏ . Authentic pelmeni made from scratch. Popular with locals.
- Okhotnichiy Rai, Maiskaya 35A, ☏ . Unusual menu - wild boar, elk. Ambiance of a hunter's lodge.
- Teremok, ул. Кирова, 10, ☏ . 11am-12am.
- Svet, Svobody 173, ☏ . Popular with young people. Face control.
- Deryabin, Krasnogeroyskaya 107, ☏ . Has a billiards room and sauna. From 1600 руб.
- Okolitsa, 23a Zhivsovhoz Izhevsk, ☏ . Hotel with a sauna. From 1800 руб.
- Park Inn by Radisson Izhevsk Hotel, 25 Borodina, ☏ . The nicest hotel in the city. From 4320 руб.
- Telekom, 36 Dzerzhinskogo, ☏ , fax: . Has a gym, swimming pool, and games room. From 1950 руб.