Jönköping is by many Swedes referred to the Jerusalem of Sweden - this is due to the town's many churches. The city is located on the southern end of Sweden's second largest lake, Vättern. Jönköping also has two smaller lakes of its own, Munksjön ('The Monk Lake') and Rocksjön ('The Rock Lake'). It is Sweden's 10th largest municipality with about 122,000 inhabitants (2006).
The Tourist Information Office is located at Jönköping Main Station.
If you don't mind sitting in a bus for a longer time, budget airlines fly to Skavsta airport in Nyköping (which also serves Stockholm). From the bus station, Swebus  operates several buses daily; the journey takes three hours.
There is also a local airport in Jönköping with connections to Stockholm, Visby and Kiruna.
- Swebus, ☎ . is by far the largest domestic coach operator and operates services to / from Jönköping from throughout Sweden. Advance ticketing is usually required and recommended practice in any case.
- [dead link]Svenska Buss, ☎ . operates services to / from Jönköping from some selected cities in Sweden.
- Eurolines, ☎ .
The city center is small and very walkable. In general the city is very pedestrian and biker friendly. A good starting point for discovering Jönköping is its central station, Jönköping Resecentrum, where trains and buses to and from other cities depart and arrive. The station is connected with Juneporten, which is the place where all the inner-city buses leave. Bus tickets within the city cost 20 and 16 SKR flat rate, during peak and off-peak respectively. Young people and children usually get discounts. The last inner-city bus usually leaves around midnight on weekdays, so if you plan on traveling late be prepared to take a taxi which can be rather expensive. On weekends you may be able to catch a bus up until two in the morning, but check the schedules in advance on the regional traffic office homepage, Jönköpings Länstrafik .
- Tändsticksområdet is the area where the match production of Jönköping was held. This area has various cultural and handicraft shops, as well as the Match museum (Tändsticksmuseet)  [dead link] - note to all trivia fans: Jönköping is the birthplace of the safety match. On this area you may also find the Radio museum Radiomuseét  [dead link].
- Jönköpings läns museum. Has a permanent exhibition on the early 20th century fantasy artist John Bauer, as well as various photo exhibitions and historical information.
The city also has a harbor with a pier. This harbor is quite popular during summertime - often you may find people eating icecream there and enjoying a beer at the harbor's bar.
- Rosenlunds rosarium is a small garden with hundreds of types of roses. Free entrance.
- Viktor Rydbergmuseet, Västra Storgatan 39, ☎ .
- [dead link]Fågelmuseet, Jönköpings Stadspark, ☎ .
- Rosenlunds Badhus - Literally 'The bathhouse of Rosenlund', is a swimming hall where both adults and children can enjoy themselves. It is quite a big swimming hall with an 'adventure' section for the young ones, a diving room and also massages can be booked.
- DreamHack. Is a LAN gaming event which takes place in the Elmia expohall, right next to the bathhouse of Rosenlund. It is the world's largest LAN party - last winter it had 12.782 attendees. It usually takes place two times a year in June and November. One can attend as both a visitor and by bringing their computer to the party.
- The beach. The beach of lake Vättern is one of Jönköping's prides. During summertime it is an excellent place to go swimming, playing volleyball or even attending a small (free) festival which is held there annually (usually in August) called 'Vätternfesten' .
The largest shopping center in Jönköping is A6 Center . In A6 you can find everything from hairdressers to clothing and furniture, like the Swedish company IKEA. There are also several electronic companies, computer store chains and sports shops in this area.
The center of Jönköping is divided into two parts, the east (Östra Centrum) and the west (Västra Centrum).
The eastern part contains the biggest shopping street in the city with 200 shops that are scattered over a small pedestrian friendly area.
The western part is considered to be the exclusive part of Jönköping. Many administrations and authorities has got their offices here and Jönköping University allures many students. Most of the taverns and clubs in Jönköping lies here and of course there are many cafes where you can enjoy the Swedish fika.
- Pizzeria Campino. Is by some considered to be the best pizza in town. Get your fix for 50 SEK.
- Velvet Lounge. Västra Storgatan 4. Restaurant and bar with Italian, Asian, Oriental, Mexican and Swedish food. Mains 106-202 SEK.
- Twin City Ristorante and Grill. Hamngatan 1. Classy place. Mains 105-225 SEK.
- Pizzeria Catania Widely considered the best pizzas in Jönköping. Pizzas start from 65 SEK.
- Munchie's Burger The only true american burger bar in Jönköping. Burgers are 55-95 SEK.
- Chili Thai Restaurant, Västra Storgatan 12. Mains 99-139 SEK.
- Den Småländska Kolonin, Kyrkogatan 4, ☎ . Most expensive place in Jönköping
- [dead link]Studion MDGV, Södra Strandgatan 8, ☎ . Run by Tommy Myllymäki. 165 - 285 SEK.
- Bongo Bar. Is where the more alternative people hang out. Not much of a dancing place, but great music and nice people. It is located at 'Tändsticksområdet'.
- Centrum. Is one of Jönköping's clubs. The age of its attendees is fairly low. It is very likely to be the best place for dancing in Jönköping.
- A6 Vandrarhem & Hotell, Rekrytvägen 7 (near A6), ☎ . From 175 SEK.
- [dead link]Ibis Hotel, Strömsnäsgatan 3, ☎ . 399 SEK.
- Hotell Formule 1 Jönköping, Huskvarnavägen 76 (near Elmia), ☎ . 390 SEK.
- Lakeside Cottage, Långsbo 20, 571 97 Forserum, ☎ . From 400 SEK.
- Best Western John Bauer Hotel, Södra Strandgatan 15 (near rail way station), ☎ . 1,185 SEK.
- Clarion Collection Hotel Victoria, F E Elmgrens Gata 5 (near rail way station), ☎ . 995 SEK.
- Comfort Hotel, Klostergatan 28, ☎ .
- Elite Stora Hotellet, Hotellplan (near rail way station), ☎ . 1,147 SEK.
- Familjen Ericssons City Hotel, Västra Storgatan 25 (near rail way station), ☎ . 1,095 SEK.
- [dead link]Grand Hotel, Hovrättstorget, ☎ . 1,140 SEK.
- [dead link]Hotel Savoy, Brunnsgatan 13-15, ☎ . 975 SEK.
- Jönköpings Hotell och Konferens, Centralvägen (near A6), ☎ . 755 SEK.
- Quality Hotel, Ryhovsgatan 3 (near A6), ☎ . 897 SEK.
- Scandic Elmia, Elmiavägen 8 (near Elmia), ☎ . 1,450 SEK.
- Scandic Portalen, Barnarpsgatan 6 (near rail way station), ☎ . 1,240 SEK.
- Pressbyrån, Barnarpsgatan 36.
- Habo Kyrka (Habo Church) lies several kilometers northwest of Jönköping, just off the road to Falköping. It's a small frame church whose interior is decorated with peasant folk art depicting biblical scenes.
- Gränna is the hometown of the peppermint rock candy. One can also take the boat from here to get to the island of "Visingsö".
- Taberg, interesting mountain just south of Jönköping. Called the miracle in Småland by Carl von Linné.
- Visingsö is an island located in lake Vättern, not far from Jönköping. It has a total area of 24 km² and its sights include its herb garden, the old castle ruins and going on a tour through the island by horse buggy. One gets out to the island by first getting to the town of Gränna to which one can take the local bus. After that you leave from Gränna on a boat which departs for Visingsö every hour or so.
- 60 km east of Jönköping lies the village of Eksjö. It is a town that has been able to preserve many wooden buildings in the center. Most of these houses are built around quiet courtyards. One house is now a museum where you can see how a well-off family lived around 1900.
- Outside of Eksjö there is a nature reserve were you can walk through a small canyon, the Skurugata, and then on up the hilltop, the Skuruhatt. The trail that takes past both is only 4 km long, but beware not to wander of onto the longer hiking trails that cross it. Walking through the Skurugata is a little adventurous, especially if it rains and the rocks become slippery. From the Skuruhatt you can see the surrounding countryside and forests.
|Routes through Jönköping|
|Helsingborg ← Vaggeryd ←||S N||→ Mjölby → Stockholm|