Jajce is situated right where the Pliva and Vrbas rivers meet. The scenic waterfall that naturally occurs here is one of the city's main landmarks. It was an important place in previous centuries and no less than 24 national monuments bear witness to this town's vibrant history. "The Jajce tourism website provides a good overview of the sights and places to stay "
The easiest way to get around Jajce is by foot. All main sites are located within a short distance of each other.
Many of the sights inside Jajce are not constantly manned, so if it is not a busy day you may need to hang around outside for a few mins or follow a note to find the keyholder.
- 1 Underground church - Catacombs. A cluster of small rooms that made up the catacombs, kept very dimly lit. A short, but powerful and cheap experience. €1.
- 2 [formerly dead link]Fortress. Dominating the town, this hilltop fortress offers great views over the town and nearby hills. Inside it is very sparse with almost no information and little more than the walls to walk around, however you will likely have the place to yourself. €1.
- King's tomb (Kraljev Grob).
- 3 Pliva Waterfall. This is the waterfall where the Pliva River meets the Vrbas River. Scenic view points can be accessed on both sides of the waterfall (the southern offering the better view), and on the far bank requiring more effort to get to but a great view back across the town. Viewing the waterfall from above is free, but less spectacular. €2.
- 5 km up the Pliva from the town is the Pliva Lake, where you can go swimming or fishing, or go camping beside its little watermills.
- 1 TROPIC Supermarket, Kulina Bana 1. M-S 07:00-21:00, Su 08:00-20:00. A large shop just outside the city walls provides all daily needs.
A number of reasonably priced restaurants and cafes are located in the town center along H.V.Hrvatinića.
A series of bars/clubs are located just outside the south side of the city walls along H.V.Hrvatinića.
- 1 Jajce Youth Hostel, Stjepana Tomasevica 11, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A modern building about 5-10 minutes walk outside of the town center. Ample free parking. Campsite available in summer. Dorm €8, Private from €15.
Banja Luka is about an hour and a half's drive up the Vrbas river through some fantastic gorges and rural scenery.