- 1 Jambi — provincial capital city.
- 2 Sungai Penuh — second largest city and gateway to Kerinci regency.
- 3 Muara Bungo — capital of Bungo Regency
- 1 Kerinci Seblat National Park — the largest national park in Sumatra island that spans over 4 province. This is also where Mt. Kerinci, the highest volcano in Indonesia and Lake Telaga Tujuh, the highest caldera lake in Southeast Asia are located.
- 2 Berbak National Park — largest undisturbed swamp forest in southeastern Asia.
- 3 Bukit Tigapuluh National Park — home to the nomadic Orang Rimba tribes and Talang Mamak tribes as well as the last refugee for several endangered species such as Sumatran orangutan, Sumatran tiger, Sumatran elephant, and Asian tapir, as well as many endangered bird species.
- 4 Bukit Duabelas National Park — Some of the last remaining lowland rainforest in Sumatra, and home to the nomadic Orang Rimba tribe.
In 1948, the Jambi province is a part of Central Sumatra province. In 1957, that short-lived province was itself divided, and Jambi was created as an independent Province.
The official language of Jambi province is Indonesian as in all parts of Indonesia. However Jambi is also home to several indigenous languages and dialects such as Jambi Malay, Kerinci language, Kubu language, Lempur Malay, and Rantau Panjang Malay, all of which are Malayan languages. Due to transmigration policy, many ethnic groups from various parts of Indonesia, especially Java, Borneo, Sulawesi and other parts of Sumatra brought their native languages as well. The non-Pribumi people such as the Chinese Indonesians speak several varieties of Chinese.
The main airport in the province is Jambi City's Sultan Thaha Airport (DJB IATA), with frequent flights to and from Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, and in addition scheduled flights to and from Batam, Palembang, Pekanbaru, and Medan.
The smaller Muara Bungo Airport (BUU IATA) serves the town of Muara Bungo and the western central part of the province, with direct flights from Jakarta, Bengkulu and Jambi City. Depati Parbo Airport (KRC IATA) serving Sungai Penuh city & Kerinci regency in the far west of the province.