(Redirected from Jarrow)
The metropolitan borough of South Tyneside consists of South Shields, Jarrow, Boldon and Hebburn.
The Tyne and Wear Metro has a station in South Shields town centre. There are also stations in South Tyneside at Hebburn, Jarrow, Bede, Simonside, Tyne Dock and Cichester.
A small passenger ferry (Tyne Pedestrian Ferry) connects with North Shields on the other side of the river. Bicycles are taken.
South Shields - depending on the direction of travel - is the endpoint of the Hadrian's Cycleway, which is signed as National Cycle Route 72. The North Sea Cycle Route (Route 1) also runs through the town.
The nearest major mainline station is Newcastle upon Tyne.
The nearest international airport is located in nearby Newcastle upon Tyne.
For public transport information in Tyne and Wear, see the transport authority's journey planner.
The Metro can be useful for longer journeys along the north of South Tyneside, and the borough is well served by buses.
- 1 Arbeia Roman Fort, Baring Street, NE33 2BB. April - Sept. Mon - Fri 10:00 - 17:00, Sat 11:00 - 16:00, Sun 14:00 - 17:00. Oct. - Mar closed. The eastern Roman fort on Hadrian's Wall was not one of the fortifications, but served the control of the important port. At the same time Arbeia was the central supply unit for the entire Roman troops on Hadrian's Wall. Situated above the Tyne in South Shields there is the excavation site. The main reason for visiting is the distinctive reconstructed West Gate which gives an excellent impression of the dimensions of such a system. Near the gate the commander's home was reconstructed, which gives an impression of the relative wealth of upscale military of that time with numerous murals. A museum with shop and an education center form the entrance to the castle grounds. free.
- 2 South Shields Museum and art Gallery, Ocean Road, NE33 2JA. Mon - Fri 10:00 - 17:00 Sat 11:00 - 16:00. Council run museum featuring collections and artifacts from the late author, Catherine Cookson. The art collection mainly has 19th and 20th century works by British artists, with an emphasis on local subjects. Free.
- 3 Souter Lighthouse and The Leas, Coast Road, Whitburn, Sunderland, SR6 7NH, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Variable, but generally Feb-Oct 11:00 - 17:00. Lighthouse which was in use until 1988, now run by the National Trust. The lighthouse opened in 1871, and was the first in the world to use a.c. electric current. The lighthouse used arc lamps and had its own generator. £6.50.
- 4 Jarrow marchers mural, Jarrow Metro Station. small mural
- Spirit of Jarrow (near to Morrison's supermarket). large bronze statue commemorating the Jarrow marchers
- 5 Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel, NE32 3PS (on the outskirts of Jarrow). Closed for refurbishment until late 2017, replacement bus available. There are two tunnels - one for pedestrians and one for cycles. They were opened on 24th July 1951. The pedestrian tunnel has the longest wooden escalator in Europe.
- 6 Bede's World, Church Bank, Jarrow, NE32 3DY. CLOSED in 2016 due to lack of funds. Jarrow's most famous resident was the father of the English language, the Venerable Bede, his life being celebrated at Bede's World, a museum and replicated Saxon village, next to the church of St. Paul and the ruins of the originally monastery where Bede lived.
- 1 Barbour Factory Store, Monks Way, Bede Trading Estate, Jarrow NE32 3HL (Near Bede Metro Station.). Mon - Sat 9:30 - 17:30, Sun 10:30 - 16:30. Next the factory which makes the well known waxed cotton jacket, stocking this and other upmarket outdoor clothes.
- 1 The Marsden Grotto, Coast Road South Shields, NE34 7BS, ☎ . Pub with food in a cave right on the beach. Accessed by a stair or lift down the cliff.
- Robin Hood, Jarrow. where Jarrow Brewery's ale brewery is located
- Athol House, 21 Westoe Road, NE33 4LS, ☎ . Basic bed and breakfast, rooms have kettle and fridge but shared bathroom.
- The Sir William Fox Hotel, 5 Westoe Village, ☎ .
- Premier Inn South Shields Port Of Tyne, Newcastle Rd, ☎ .
- Quality Hotel Boldon, Boldon Business Park, Witney Way, Boldon, ☎ .