Jingzhou (荆州; Jīngzhōu) is a city in Hubei Province on the banks of the Yangtze River (长江; Chang Jiang). It has been an important historical city for 6,000 years, and is particularly famous for being the capital for the State of Chu (楚国) during the Warring States Period, and for its importance during the Three Kingdoms period.
Linked to the Chinese train network.
There are taxis and buses available.
- Ancient city wall. There is a place where you can walk along the top of the ancient city wall, which has had some statues of a few Three Kingdoms figures put on top. There is also a view from the top of the wall of the Yangtze River, and the giant golden statue of Qu Yuan.
- Qu Yuan statue (On the shore of the Yangtze River). In honor of the historical figure the purpose of the Dragon Boat Festival is attributed to.
- Guan Yu Temple. One of the most famous temples devoted specifically to Guan Yu, a deified figure from the Three Kingdoms period, that is an active temple in great condition.
- Jingzhou Museum (荆州博物馆), 166 Jingzhong Road (荆中路166号), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-5PM, no entry after 4PM, closed on Mondays. A local history museum with an area of 100 000 square meters. The Jingzhou Museum mainly displays ancient cultural relics from the Yangtze River and Han River areas. There is a rich collection of art works and artefacts, among which the most famous are the relics from the Paleolithic and Neolithic periods, the relics of the Eastern Zhou Dynasty (770BC-256BC) and those of the Qin and Han Dynasties. Free.
Chu embroidery, Fish Cake (YuGao/鱼糕), Steamed Marbled Meat (FenZhengRou/粉蒸肉), MissHu's duck (XiaohuYa/小胡鸭)
Traditional cuisine from the historic State of Chu is a must try while in Jingzhou. It has a unique flavor that is absolutely delicious. Ask for a place with Chu flavor (楚味) dishes. Various options of breakfast, most of them are all kinds of noodle or soup.
- Danyang is two hours away by bus, and might be worth a day trip if you are a Three Kingdoms fan or a Guan Yu fan. It is the home of the mausoleum for Guan Yu's body (his head rests in Luoyang). Also in town, look for a giant statue in the middle of an intersection en route between the mausoleum and the bus station - if you poke around nearby, there is a hidden little park up some stairs on a hill that is full of life sized painted statues of many of the main Three Kingdoms figures.