(Redirected from Jo Daviess County)
The Illinois Driftless Area is a region in Northern Illinois containing the sole portions of the Driftless Zone in Illinois. Like other portions of the Driftless Zone, the Illinois Driftless Area is noted for its hills, river valleys and general scenic beauty. Like many other regions in the area, it's borders are somewhat fluid but generally contain all of Jo Daviees and Stephenson Counties as well as the western portions of Carroll County near the Mississippi River.
- Freeport: The county seat of Stephenson County, Freeport is the largest city in the region and major industrial hub.
- Galena: The county seat of Jo Daviees County, Galena is a major tourist area known for its historic downtown and nearby golf courses and skiing areas. It is also the hometown of former President Ulysses S. Grant.
- Mount Carroll: The county seat of Carroll County, Mount Carroll is notable for its historic homes and charming downtown, the entirety of which is designated as a district on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Scales Mound
- Apple River Canyon State Park
- Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge
- Charles Mound, the highest point in Illinois
The Illinois Driftless area is locally renown for its scenic beauty (especially in Chicagoland), and this helped boost its tourist industry. As more and more people visited and vacationed there, the area grew to meet the demand. Galena is particularly tourist-driven, but even Mount Carroll has some tourist elements.