Clinton is in fact the easternmost city in Iowa, and just south of the Mississippi River's widest section, the area above Lock and Dam No. 13. Clinton has its origins as a railroad and lumbering town, and in the 1880s-1890s boasted the most millionaires in the country.
If you need a heads up on details, you can stop by the Clinton, Iowa Visitors Information Kiosk[dead link] at 400 Riverview Dr daily from 7AM-8PM.
- Clinton Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)[dead link], has shuttle or bus routes through the city.
- Bickelhaupt Arboretum, 340 S 14th St, Clinton, IA 52732, ☏ . M-F 6AM-5PM. A 14 acre botanical garden operated by the Clinton Community College with shrubs, conifers, herbs, hostas, daylillies, and that kind of thing.
- Sawmill Museum, 2231 Grant St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su 1PM-5PM, M 1PM-6PM. This museum explores Clinton's legacy as a lumbering and transportation center given its proximity to rail lines and waterways.
- Eagle Point Park, 3923 N 3rd St, ☏ . Daily 7AM-7PM. An expansive park that overlooks the Mississippi River with trails, stone bridge, and even a castle.
- Riverview Park, 303 Riverview Dr. This little park has a marina, walking path along the river, and the Clinton lighthouse.
- George M. Curtis Mansion, 420 5th Ave S. Example of a timber magnate's wealth from late 19th century Clinton. Guided tour may be available. +1 563 242-8556
- Clinton Area Showboat Theater, 303 Riverview Dr, ☏ . Theatrical shows and musicals (probably folksy) aboard a beached paddlewheeler.
- Wild Rose Casino & Hotel Clinton, 777 Wild Rose Dr, ☏ . They've got the buffet and gaming floor with the pervasive milieu of secondhand smoke hanging in the air.
- Candlelight Inn Restaurant - Clinton Iowa, 511 Riverview Dr, ☏ . Tu-Su 11AM-9PM. Despite the name, you might not see too much candlelight. However, the riverfront seating with the Clinton lighthouse in the foreground and solid American cuisine and drinks are a plus.
Pull-thru camping sites are available at Riverview Park. Most of the chain hotels are west of town on Hwy 30.
- Fisher House Bed & Breakfast, 407 5th Ave S, ☏ . A chance to stay in a large remodeled 1880s Queen Anne Victorian home from Clinton's yesteryear.
|Routes through Clinton|
|Cedar Rapids ← DeWitt ←||W E||→ Rock Falls → Joliet|
|Ends at ← Sabula ←||N S||→ Le Claire → Davenport|