Le Claire is a Mississippi River town of 3,765 (2010). It is named for Antoine LeClaire, who developed a large part of the Iowa Quad Cities on property that was given him by the tribes who originally laid claim to it. The town was the head of the Rock Island Rapids, a notorious section of the river that extended as far south as what is now downtown Davenport. River pilots were required to guide river traffic through the rapids, which impacted the early economic life of the town. The rapids were tamed by the development of the lock and dams on the upper river. The town is also the boyhood home of frontiersman Buffalo Bill Cody.
Le Claire is a small town with interstate access. There is no mass transit or any other easy way to access the town. Most of the town lies north of the interchange of Interstate 80 and US Route 67. The exit is right after the Mississippi River Bridge. From the Iowa Quad Cities it is, for the most part, easier to access the town via US 67, which has great views of the Mississippi River. From the north side of the Quad Cities it is easier to use Interstate 80.
Because Le Claire is a small town it is easy to navigate. Cody Road (US Route 67) is the town's main street and all establishments that a visitor would patronize is either on the street or just off of it. Caution should be excised when driving through the downtown area on summer weekends when many people visit. Traffic will be heavier, although manageable, and there will be many pedestrians. There is also railroad tracks that separate the downtown businesses from a large surface parking lot along the Mississippi River. Even though there are not a large number of daily freight trains on the tracks, caution should be exercised.
- Buffalo Bill Museum, 200 N Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: BuffaloBill@iowatelecom.net. M-Sa 9AM-4PM, Su 12PM-4PM. The museum commemorates frontiersman Buffalo Bill Cody and contains memorabilia from his Wild West Show as well as antiques and other items of historic interest. It also houses the tugboat Lone Star, which is a National Historic Landmark.
- Mississippi River Distilling Company, 303 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tours: M-Su 12PM-4PM; Retail shop: M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12PM-5PM. The tour includes viewing the entire distilling process, from the cleaning, milling and cooking of the grain, to the fermentation, distillation, blending, aging and bottling of spirits. The tour ends in the tasting room for free samples for patrons over 21 years of age. Tours: Free.
- Pebble Creek Golf Course, 3851 Forest Grove Drive, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 18 hole golf course and restaurant
Downtown Le Claire is home to a variety of small, locally owned shops.
- Antique Archaeology, 115 1/2 Davenport St., ☎ . M-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12PM-5PM. A former fabrication shop now houses antiques and collectables, a new merchandise store, and serves as the home base for the American Pickers television show featured on the History Channel.
- Artswork, 221 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12PM- 4PM. Features fine art, pottery, clothing, and jewelry.
- Aunt Hattie's Fanciful Emporium, 110 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Features nostalgia items and gifts.
- Big River Antiques, 423 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 11AM-6PM, Su 12PM-4PM. A multi-dealer antique shop, also offering expert appraisals and related services.
- Dwellings, 101 S. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Features a mix of home decor, antiques, and artwork.
- [dead link]Garden of Uden, 414 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Handcrafted furniture and gifts.
- Grasshoppers and the Vintage Vine Wine Cellar, 208 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Su-M 12PM-4PM, Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM. Gifts displayed among antiques and painted furniture. The basement features a variety of wines along with wine accessory items.
- [dead link]Green Tree Emporium, 123 S. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Antiques, books, records, plants, linens, tools, etc.
- LeClaire Antiques and Appraisals, 118 N. Cody Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu, Th, Sa 11AM-4PM, Su-M 12PM-4PM, W Closed; also by appointment. Vintage Chic with a French Twist. Secret Garden open seasonally on side and rear of building with vintage garden decor.
- LeClaire Canning Company, 114 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 11:30AM-5PM. Salsas, Sauces, Spices
- Mississippi Cottage Antiques, 606 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Unique antiques, fine arts, and crafts all housed in a 1800′s river home.
- Penny Waters Studio, 103 S. Cody Road, ☎ . Home decor, unique gifts, interior design.
- [formerly dead link]Posh Home, 217 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Upscale home furnishings and gifts.
- Primitive Cottage, 127 N. Cody Rd., ☎ . A gift shop with country furnishings and decor.
- Razzleberries, 227 N. Cody Rd., ☎ . M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12PM-4PM. Purses, bags, jewelry, unique clothing and more.
- Vignettes, 102 S. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12PM-4PM. A gift boutique with home decor and gifts.
- Bierstube, 1001 Canal Shore Dr., ☎ . M-Su 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 12PM-10PM. Authentic German food, sandwiches, soups and a full bar. $6-17.
- Big Dave & Holly's Dairy Sweet, 1204 N. Cody Rd., ☎ . M-Sa 11AM-8PM, Su Closed. Home made soup, sandwiches, daily specials and soft serve ice cream. $3.50-6.
- Blue Iguana Mexican Cantina, 201 N. Cody Road, ☎ . S-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM. Blue Iguana provides a fresh take on Mexican cuisine. $4-30.
- Crane & Pelican Cafe and Gift Shop, 127 S. 2nd St., ☎ . Tu-Sa 11AM-9PM. Cafe and bar that features comfort food served in an 1851 river pilot home. Antique and Gift Shops on 2nd level $5-21.
- The Faithful Pilot Café & Spirits, 117 N. Cody Rd., ☎ . M-Th 5PM-9PM, F-Sa 5PM-10PM. Fine dining with a river view; monthly wine dinners. $6-32.
- Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream Parlor, 119 N. Cody Rd., ☎ . M-Su 11AM. A Quad City original. Pizza, sandwiches, pasta, ice cream, buffet, carry-out and deliveries.
- Hungry Hobo, 1109 Canal Shore Dr., ☎ . M-Su 11AM-8PM. A Quad City original. Sliced and grilled-to-order sandwiches, baked potatoes with a variety of toppings, chef-prepared soups, shredded-lettuce salads, and desserts from The Hobo Bakery.
- The Black Watch Room Restaurant, 3851 Forest Grove Road, ☎ . M-Sa 11AM- 10PM, Su 11AM-9PM. Restaurant overlooking Pebble Creek, an 18 hole golf course. $3-26.
- Sneaky Pete's Woodfire Grille, 207 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 11AM- 10PM, Su 11AM-9PM. Established in 1975 it is known for its steaks; full bar. $3-26.
- Steventon's Restaurant & Bar, 1399 Eagle Ridge Rd., ☎ . Tu-Th 5PM-9PM, F-Sa 5PM-10PM, Su Brunch: 10AM-2PM, Dinner 5PM-9PM. Fine Cuisine with a view of the Mississippi River. $9-45.
- 129 Coffee, Martini and Wine Bar, 129 N. Cody Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Pelo's Sundries, 101 N. Cody Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. General store, coffee, tea & sodas
- Riverview Roadhouse Bar & Grill, 701 N. Cody Rd., ☎ . Bar & Grill
- Wide River Winery, 102 N. Cody Rd., ☎ . M-Su 11AM. Le Claire Tasting Room where you can sample local award winning wines and keep the souvenir wine glass. $6.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Riverview, 902 Mississippi View Court (I-80 and US Route 67), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: After 3PM, check-out: Before 12PM. Hotel features free hot breakfast, free wireless high-speed Internet access, indoor pool, exercise room.
- Holiday Inn Express Le Claire Riverfront-Davenport, 1201 Canal Shore Dr SW (I-80 and US Route 67), ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Hotel features Express Start Breakfast Bar, high-speed Internet access, business center, and indoor pool.
- Latimer Bed & Breakfast, 127 N. 2nd St., ☎ .
- Super 8, 1552 Welcome Center Drive (I-80 and US Route 67), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Hotel features SuperStart breakfast and high-speed Internet access.
- Bettendorf and Davenport to the south offer more in the way of night life and bigger city amenities.
|Routes through Le Claire|
|Davenport ← Bettendorf ←||W E||→ Jct E → Peru-LaSalle → Joliet|
|Sabula ← Clinton ←||N S||→ Bettendorf → Davenport|