Joshimath is situated in the nest of Himalaya on route from Haridwar to the Hindu sacred shrine of Badrinath. It is also the junction for people visiting Auli, one of the best skiing spots in India.
The drive from the valley is very scenic and runs along the Ganges and its tributaries.
The last bus leaves by around 7AM. The journey takes 8–11 hr depending on the condition of the road and where you start.
Reaching Haridwar or Rishikesh from Delhi, check the according articles.
- 1 G.M.O.U. Ltd. The private bus stand to book buses back into the valley. Leaving for Rishikesh (₹550) and Haridwar (₹600) at 4AM and 6AM.
- 2 Badrinath & Govindghat. The stand for mostly taxis and a few buses heading to these places. Shared taxi to Badrinath: ₹150. Bus to Govindghat (for Ghangaria): ₹45.
The government bus back into the valley starts in Tapovan and will ply along the main road in Josjimath, but it seems you cannot reserve any space.
There is also the Badrinath bus going through Joshimath, but at that point it is unclear whether there is will be space left. You are safer off just booking and catching the private bus.
- 1 Bhavishya Kedar Temple. As per local belief, present-day Kedarnath will disappear along with Badrinath and re-appear in Bhavishya Kedar temple at Joshimath. This temple has small shivling
- Narsinh Temple. This is an ancient temple of Lord Vishnu in Narsinh Avtar and the main temple of Joshimath. It has an idol of Lord Narsinh, which is considered established by Shankaracharya
- 2 Shanakaracharya Math. This is the Math established by Adi Shankaracharya in North India. It has a temple of Badrinarayan and Rajrajeshwari Devi, and a sacred cave where Adi Shankaracharya supposedly undertook tapasya.
- Tapovan, Rajpur Rd. According to legend, Guru Dronacharya did penance here. It has natural hot springs and a nice view of the river Dhauliganga.
- Interpretation Center of Bio-Cultural Diversity., Lata Village (25 kilometers upstream along the Dhouli Ganga river on Niti-Malari highway). The center showcases the bio-cultural diversity of the Nanda Devi National Park region. It has a museum as well as a souvenir shop.
- Cable car ride to Auli
- Day Hike to Gorson meadows
- Trek to Kuari Pass and Curzon Trail
- Trek to Nanda Devi National Park
There are some trekking companies in town in case you need further information.
- 1 Gurudwara Hemkunt Sahib. They are very welcoming. Free accommodation and food, donation of ₹50-75/night recommended.
- 2 GMVN Tourist Rest House (Nargingh), ☏ . Dorm/room ₹500/2,000.
- 3 GMVN Jyotir Tourist Complex, ☏ . Dorm/room ₹400/1,700.
- Auli – One of India's best ski resorts, just south.
- Badrinath – 50 km north, a Hindu holy town and a nagar panchayat with the most important of the four Char Dham Yatra Hindu pilgrim centers.
- Ghangaria – South of Badrinath, it's the gateway to the Hemkunt pilgrimage site and the Valley of Flowers.
- Kedarnath – Relatively close, considering you are already in this area. It is one of the four Char Dham Yatra Hindu pilgrim centers, at 3,400 m, which you need to hike at least 16 km to.