Junput is about 9 km from Contai town and is 40 km away from Digha by bus. From Kolkata side you have to drive to Contai and then take a left turn towards Junput. It is basically a small fishing village. There is no beach as such in Junput.
If you go there having the sea in your mind then you will be quite disappointed. The water has shifted far off from there and the only thing left is white muddy sand. The sand too is only visible at either Gopalpur (not the one in Odisha, this one is about 2km from Junput) or Haripur. At Gopalpur, one could find a beautiful beach with fir trees and red crabs along the beach. Be sure to go during the high tide. The fir trees provide an wonderful place for picnic. The beach is really deserted and is very tranquil.
- 1 Junput Clay Beach.
- 1 Bankiput Sea Beach (Near Gopalpur). It is fairly long beach, starting around 2-3 km from the resort. What is shown on the map is roughly the centre of the beach. This is a good sandy beach.
- Brackish water fish Cultivation and Research Center (Near the Resort).
- 2 Dariapur Lighthouse (96 feet high) (It is on the Dariapur-Petuaghat Road.). Open for visitors from 3 pm. It is fully operational. Visitors can climb to the top and have a good view of the area
- 3 Kapalkundala Mandir (It is off the Dariapur-Petuaghat Road.). Made famous by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee's classic novel Kapalkundala. Don't expect a Dakshineswar!
- The Little Woods (Just behind the resort).
Leisurely walks on the beach and picnic in the fir tree plantations.
Fresh fish from the local fishermen or bone-dried fish (shuntki) if you can survive the stench.
Eating places are a rarity and the only place you will be able to eat is the Resort. They have a package system charging ₹275-₹300/- per head for Bed Tea-breakfast-Lunch-Snacks-Dinner. The food is not really very nice though.
You can have lots of fresh coconut water. There are no bars or liquor shops in Junput.
- 1 [dead link]Junput Resort, ☎ . This is the only accommodation available there, 1 km from Junput Bazar. There is no spot booking facility so it is better to book a room before reaching there. ₹400-₹1,000.