Kópavogur is a city in Southwest Iceland, with a population of 40,000 (2020).
Kópavogur is a part of Reykjavík metropolitan area, located south of Reykjavík. They share municipal borders, so its not hard to get there. It is the country's second largest municipality by population.
Kópavogur is central in the capital area and there are roads, bus routes and pedestrian and bicycle paths that link Kópavogur with the rest of the Reykjavík area.
Kópavogur is largely made up of residential areas, but has commercial areas and much industrial activity as well.
Kópavogur is one of the youngest towns in Iceland so there is not much there of historical significance. It was a suburb of Reykjavík with the first houses built during World War II. Explosive growth in business and housing building doubled the town in size since 1990, giving it large shopping centres and an office/commercial building that is the tallest building in Iceland, the Smáratorg Tower. The things to see are primarily in the older part of the town, particularly the Kársnes peninsula with trees in the gardens and treelined streets and the picturesque church on top of the Borgarholt.
- Smárabíó (shopping center Smáralind), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Iceland's most popular and up-to-date multiplex cinema has the capacity of 1 000 seats in five halls with perfect RealD 3D digital technology and equipment to broadcast live events in 3D. Adult price 1,350 kr.
- [dead link] Skemmtigarðurinn (shopping center Smáralind), ☏ , email@example.com. M-Th 14:00-22:00, F 14:00-23:00, Sa 13:00-23:00, Su 13:00-22:00. Indoor family entertainment centre in Smáralind offers a great time for all ages.
Geothermal swimming pools
Outdoor geothermal swimming pools are an important part of Icelandic culture and a visit to them is a great way to relax.
- [dead link] Salalaug and Kópavogslaug, Salalaug - Versalir 3 / Kópavogslaug – Borgarholtsbraut 17, ☏ , . Oct-Apr: M-F 06:30-22:00, Sa Su 08:00-18:00. A swimming pool. Adult price 500 kr.
- Smáralind, Hagasmára 1, 201, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-W F 11:00-19:00, Th 11:00-21:00, Sa 11:00-18:00, Sun 13:00-18:00. Iceland's largest shopping centre, over 80 shops and businesses on three floors.
- American Style, Nýbýlavegur 22, ☏ . American foods and burgers.
- Domino´s Pizza, Nýbýlavegur 14, ☏ . Su-Th 11:00-00:00, F Sa 11:00-03:00.
- KFC, Bæjarlind 18, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Daily 11:00-22:00.
- [formerly dead link] Nings restaurant, Hlíðasmára 12, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 11:30-22:00. Asian cuisine
- Nítjánda, Smáratorgi (on the second floor in Turninum), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
- Lily Guesthouse, Nybylavegur 30, ☏ . The guesthouse is clean and comfortable, with free internet, and breakfast if desired. The building has an elevator which is accessible for wheelchairs. Lily is in walking distance from Perlan from were you can see panorama view over Reykjavik. Also in walking distanceis Nautholsvik beach. Pizza and fast food restaurants are in nearby buildings.