Get in[edit source]
Kahului Airport (OGG IATA), 1 Kahului Airport Rd # 5. The main airport for the island of Maui, and the second largest commercial airport in the state. It is a secondary hub for Hawaiian Airlines, which provides interisland service to Kahului from the other major airports in the state. Several major U.S. airlines also provide non-stop service to Maui from the West Coast and beyond. There are non-stop flights to Kahului Airport from the following cities (some cities may be seasonal or only offer service certain days of the week): Anchorage, Chicago, Dallas Fort Worth, Denver, Hana, Hilo, Honolulu, Hoolehua, Kamuela, Kapalua, Kauai Island, Kona, Lanai City, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver.
Get around[edit source]
The main commercial street in Kahului is Kaahumanu Avenue (state route 32), which passes by the main shopping malls of Queen Kaahumanu Center and Maui Mall. Hana Highway (state route 36) intersects Kaahumanu Avenue near Maui Mall. Dairy Road (state route 380) is the road which runs to Kahului Airport from the major tourist centers and along which Maui's major big-box retailers lie.
- Maui Arts and Cultural Center, 1 Cameron Way, ☎ . Tu-Su 11AM-5PM. Completed in 1994, the Arts and Cultural Center is one of the island's best venues for both visual and performing arts. The Schaefer International Gallery is Maui's only museum-quality art gallery, while several performance venues including the Castle Theater and Alexander and Baldwin Amphitheater provide space for concerts and plays. Free admission for most exhibits in the Schaefer Gallery.
- Maui Nui Botanical Gardens, 150 Kanaloa Ave, ☎ . M-Sa 8AM-4PM. Seven acre site focused on flora of Maui, Moloka'i, Lana'i and Kaho'olawe.
Helicopter and small plane tours of Maui and the other Hawaiian Islands are available at the airport.
There are only three hotels in Kahului, all of them on the budget to midrange end of the scale. Both are centrally located in Kahului not far from the airport and provide clean and comfortable accommodations, but if you're expecting amenities on the scale of properties in Kaanapali or Kihei, you will be sorely disappointed.
- Maui Beach Hotel, 170 Kaahumanu Ave. Average price about $119 (as of 3/07).
- Maui Seaside Hotel, 100 Kaahumanu Ave. Clean, basic hotel on white sand beach. Average price about $115 (as of 7/10).
- Courtyard Maui Airport Hotel, 532 Keolani Place (5 minutes from OGG). Part of the Marriott chain, just minutes from the airport. Average price about $249 (as of 5/2016).