Kakegawa (掛川) is a city in Shizuoka.
By train - Kakegawa is linked by normal train to Tokyo to the north and the rest of Shizuoka Prefecture to the south by the Tokaido line. It is also served by Shinkansen from Tokyo: all Kodama services will stop at Kakegawa and a few Hikari also stop. Nozomi services do not stop at Kakegawa. Kakegawa's neighbouring cities include Kikugawa and Aino.
- 1 [dead link] Kakegawa Castle (掛川城, Kakegawa-jou), Kakegawa-shi Kakegawa 1138-24, ☏ . 09:00-17:00. Kakegawa castle is the main attraction in Kakegawa. It was built in 1513 by Yasuhiro Asahina and lost to Ieyasu Tokugawa in 1569. The castle was torn down in the Meiji Era, so like the majority of such castles within Japan, it is not the original, but the remaining grounds are well-preserved and original, and the castle was rebuilt in 1993 with the original techniques, materials, and specifications. The original daimyo's palace is still preserved here as well. The castle features regular exhibitions within the grounds and is popular on the weekends with tourists from all over the area. Adults ¥300, children ¥150; combined ticket with Ninomaru Art museum: adults ¥400, children ¥200.
- 2 Takatenjin Castle Ruins (高天神城跡, Takatenjin Jouseki), Shimohijikata Minemukai (off Route 251), ☏ . Site of the largest battle between Ieyasu Tokugawa and Shingen Takeda during the Warring States Period.
- 3 Yokosuka Castle Ruins (横須賀城跡, Yokosuka Jouseki), Nishi-oobuchi Nishida-cho (off Route 41), ☏ . After Takatenjin Castle was taken over by the Takedas, Ieyasu Tokugawa had this semi-modern castle built as a base for recapture efforts. Its ruins now rest in a pleasant park setting.
- 4 Kakegawa Ninomaru Museum of Art (掛川市二の丸美術館, Kakegawashi Ninomaru Bijutsukan).
- 5 Nissaka-Shuku Kawasaka-Ya (日坂宿川坂屋).
- 6 Shimizu-tei Garden (清水邸庭園, Shimizutei Teien), ☏ .
- 1 [dead link] Kakegawa Flower and Bird Park (掛川花鳥園, Kakegawa Kachou-en), Minami Saigou 1517 (10 min walk south of JR Kakegawa Station), ☏ . Daily 09:00-17:00, last entry at 16:30.. A good rainy day outing, this 7000-m² indoor park houses many species of birds which fly freely throughout the enclosure, including owls, parakeets, conures, toucans, penguin, emu and assorted waterfowl. Visitors are encouraged to touch and interact with the birds, and there are opportunities to feed various kinds of bird, see owl, falcon, and eagle flight shows, and get souvenir photos with penguins. The park allows outside food for picnics, or serves a lunch buffet for ¥1380. Adults ¥1050, children ¥525.
- Climb Mt. Awagatake.
- Shiosaibashi Cycling Route.
- Daito Hot Spa Seatopia.
- Kurami Hot Spa.
- Hosenji Hot Spa. Said to make women more beautiful.
- Shinrin-no-Yu, Tsumagoi.
- Ganesha India and Nepal Restaurant, 613-3, Kuzugawa, Kakegawa City (from Kakegawa Train Station, take the north side exit and make right at the first street. Walk for about 12 minutes (the train track is on your right) and the restaurant is on the left side), ☏ . This restaurant is operated by people from Nepal and make very nice and tasty curry. If you are vegetarian or looking for Halal food, this is a must go place. They have variety of vegetable curries with rice or naan.
- 3Rings. A popular hamburger restaurant.
- [dead link] Mal's Bar, Tamari 30-1, ☏ . M-Th 18:00-00:00; F Sa 18:00-02:00; closed Sundays. Local foreigner bar with live jazz, soul, and hip hop, and good soul food. Call the owner over to your table for a chat, as he is an interesting character.
- Ninomaru Teahouse.
- Kakegawa Grand Hotel (掛川グランドホテル), Kame no Sato 1-3-1 (across the street from the train station), ☏ .
|Routes through Kakegawa|
|Nagoya ← Hamamatsu ←||W E||→ Shizuoka → Shin-Yokohama|
|Hamamatsu ← Fukuroi ←||W E||→ Kikugawa → Yokohama|
|Hamamatsu ← Fukuroi ←||W E||→ Kikugawa → Shizuoka|
|Hamamatsu ← Fukuroi ←||W E||→ Shizuoka → Yokohama|