Buses and autorickshaws are available to take you anywhere in the vicinity.
- Mahabalipuram - is around 12 km from Kalpakkam.
- Sadras - this village abutting the township is an old Dutch settlement. One can find the ruins of the old Dutch fort that once existed here.
- Thirukazhukundram - also known as Pakshi TheerthamAround is 15 km from Kalpakkam.
People live here, it is not a tourist spot. But Kalpakkam boasts some of the best non-rocky, sandy pristine beaches that have not been invaded by the masses. It is an excellent place to go swimming in the ocean since there are no rocks in the vicinity. There are also a few parks and gardens sprinkled inside the township, including a memorial park for the victims of the 2004 Tsunami.
There are shops in the villages on both ends of the townships: Sadras and Pudupattinam. Additionally, there are at least 2 shopping centers inside the township on either side of the bridge separating the Sadras side and Pudupattinam sides.
The best restaurant is right next to the bus depot on the Pudupattinam side, just inside the township. It serves mostly south indian, vegetarian fare at moderate prices.
- The back water Bridge is one place where you can see the beautiful sunset.
- Kalpakkam Beach is the place were you can get out and have fun in the sun...
- Nesco (Nuclear Employees Social and Cultural Organization) is a perfect place for sports and entertainment.