Kalutara is in Western Province (Sri Lanka).
Kalutara is a coastal city 43 km south of the capital Colombo and the administrative capital of Kalutara district. The city holds a unique position for one of the four major rivers in Sri Lanka (Kalu River) joins the sea at the center of the city.
Take the Colombo-Kalutara route No. 400 AC or Non AC bus from Colombo. It'll take around 2 hours to reach depending on the time of the day. Better to travel in the mornings to avoid outbound traffic congestions.
Kalutara has two railway stations (Kalutara North and Kalutara South) and make sure to get off at Kalutara South station to reach the city. Kalutara South station is a major station on the southern coastal railway and all express trains make a stop here. Pre-booking facility is only available in Rajadhani Express train.
- Kalutara Vihara or Gangatilaka Vihara, built in the 1960s to the south of the Kalutara Bridge, is Kalutara's most dominant landmark. The white 3-storey-high stupa at Kalutara Vihara is believed to be the only Buddha stupa in the world which is entirely hollow. It contains a smaller dagoba inside. The interior of the stupa is decorated with paintings of the Jataka tales about the life of the Buddha.
- Kalutara Bodhiya is one of the most famous sacred and devotional Buddhist sites in Sri Lanka. It is one of the 32 saplings of Anuradhapura Sri Maha Bodiya. Kalutara Bodiya is on Colombo-Galle road.
- Richmond Castle is a two-storey mansion, built in 1896, at Palatota. Richmond Castle is a 42-acre fruit garden estate that wad built for a wealthy regional governor. The architecture is a mix of British and Indian styles, copied from the plans of an Indian Maharaja's palace designed by a London architect. The entire building is characterized by intricate carvings.
- Calido Beach is a popular beach among tourists due to its natural beauty and scenic views. It is a thin strip of preserved land which runs between the Kalu River and the Indian Ocean.
- Asokaramaya Buddhist Temple is a historic Buddhist temple built in 1873, in Kalutara north.
- 1 Anantara Kalutara Resort, St Sebastian Road, Katukurunda, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 141 rooms, suites and pool villas, equipped with yoga and meditation pavilion, kids' and teens’ centre, gym, library & water sports centre. Starting from US$205.