Karnal is a city of 287,000 people (2011) in the National Capital Region (NCR) in Haryana. The city associates itself with Karna, the great donor and warrior and of one of the major characters of the Hindu epic Mahābhārata. The city has built a large statue in his honour.
The Grand Trunk Road (GT Road) also known as NH-1 runs right through Karnal (The city of Daanveer Karna of Mahabharat). It's 125 km from Delhi and approximately the same distance from Chandigarh as well. You can catch a bus/taxi from Chandigarh and Delhi.
You can catch a bus to Karnal from Inter-State Bus Terminus, Kashmere Gate in New Delhi. Karnal is 125 km from Delhi. Traveling from Delhi to Karnal by a bus takes normally 2 to 3 hours depending on the traffic conditions in city range of Delhi. by chandra
Train to Karnal can be taken from either New Delhi Railway Station or from Old Delhi railway station, and Hazrat Nizzamuddin railway station as well. Train takes 2-3 hours to reach Karnal from Ambala/Delhi/Chandigarh depending on the train class.
- 1 Atal Park. Well maintained park with gardens and fountains. Travelers and local populace enjoy this park for picnics and leisurely strolls.
- Bhara Mal's Sarai.
- Cantonment Church Tower. The Cantonment Church Tower is a church tower in Karnal city of Haryana, India. It stands near National Highway 1 of India. It has been declared as a historical monument by Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage. It was the tower of St. James' Church, Karnal, dedicated to St. James, one of disciples of Jesus Christ. The tower is 35m tall, and is surmounted by an ornamental cross.
- Dargah Nuri, Karnal-Kunjpura road, Village of Newal (10km NE of Karnal). There is a Dargah Nuri at village Newal on Karnal-Kunjpura road. This Dargah was built in memory of Hazrat Sufi Shah Alama Nur Mohd of Delhi, and is managed by Managing Committee, village Newal.
- Devi Temple.
- Gurdwara Manji Sahib, Khatrian Mohalla.
- Kalander Shah's Tomb. A shrine of famous sufi saint Baba Bu Ali Shah kalander. An enclosure with mosque and a reservoir with fountains.
- 2 Karn Taal (Karna Tank). A park
- 3 Karna Lake.
- 4 Karna Stadium.
- Miran Sahib's Tomb. A tomb for the memory of a saint, Sayad Mohd AKA Miran Sahib, a saint who died in 899 AD.
- NDRI (National Dairy Research Institute). A Deemed University (state granted full autonomy in courses, fees and admissions) is a major centre of agricultural and dairy research.
- Old Fort. Constructed about 1764 AD. Now the office and residence of the Tehsildar (Tax Inspector).
- Sita Mai Temple, Village of Sitamai (25 km NW of Karnal). A temple dedicated to the Nepali Hindu Goddess Sita.
- Karnesshwar Mahadev Mandir, Sector 7.
- Nirmal Kutia: A famous shrine dedicated to saint Baba Nikka Singh Ji Maharaj, visited by people of all faiths. Aarti in the evening (7-8PM everyday) is worth attending. Special celebration occurs on sundays, festivals. It lies in front of District Courts Karnal.
- 1 Fun Cinemas, Sector 12, Karnal.
- Movietime Cinemas, Sector 12, Karnal.
- 1 Karan Market.
- Kunjpura Road.
- Mugal Canal Market.
- Nehru Palace.
- 1 Dominos, Sec-12, Karnal.
- Haveli, NH-1, Karnal.
- Hotel Jewels.
- Jhilmil Dhaba (Zhilmil Dhaba), NH 1, toll-free: . North Indian and Indo-Chinese cuisine.
- Kalra Restaurant, Sector 13.
- Karna Lake Tourist Complex, NH-1, Karnal.
- 2 Oasis (Oasis Fast Food), NH-1, Karnal.
- 3 Pizza Hut, 1st floor, super mall, Sec-12, Karnal. Delivery.
- Savoy Greens (Mcdonalds), NH-1, Karnal.
- Any road side dhaba
- 1 Karnal Club.
- Tunn Bar.
- Deventure, Namastey Chowk , Karnal. A Four Star Hotel
- Hotel Haveli, NH-1, Karnal.
- 1 Hotel Jewels, Jewel Chowk, Karnal. A Four Star Hotel
- Hotel Noor Mahal, NoorMahal X-ing, NH-1,Sector 32, Karnal. A Five Star Luxury Hotel
- Karna Lake Tourist Complex, NH-1, 131 Km Stone , G.T. Road, Karnal.
- New World, NH-1, Karnal.
- 2 Savoy Greens, NH-1, 131 Km Stone , G.T. Road , Karnal. Motel and Food Court (Mcdonalds)
- Yellow Sapphire Hotel, Namastey Chowk, NH-1, Karnal.