Karonga is the closest major town north of Tanzania on the coast of Lake Nyasa. Historically, Karonga was known as for its slave trading industry. Today, it is also noted for its prehistory, with a museum showing dinosaur fossils from the area. A discovery in 2009 of prehistoric human-made tools and a human tooth have put Karonga on the evolutionary map for being the potential "Cradle of Life," for humankind.
There are AXA buses and Vans going to and from Mzuzu. the trip takes 4 hours. there are also buses going to the Tanzanian border.
- 1 Cultural & Museum Center Karonga (CMCK), M1, ☏ , email@example.com. The biggest attraction to Karonga is this museum, which has great exhibitions about dinosaurs, including the famous Malawisaurus. The permanent exhibition "Dinosaurs to Democracy," takes visitors through the history of the region. Adults K100; Family K300; Students K50; Children K25.
- Standard Bank. has a master card / visa card ATM.
- National Bank of Malawi.. has a master card / visa card ATM.
- Peoples Supermarket.. the best supermarket in town.
- Mbande Cafe. 8am-5pm.
Karonga has many hotels.
- Royal Fortune House. Owned by a local businessman, Sanday Zimba. It is next to the market and travellers may simply ask for "Zimba's hotel" and they will be directed. Rates are fair and the food is good.
- Club Marina. A bit farther from town but on the water. Rates are a bit more expensive but the view is wonderful.
- Safari Lodge Annex, ☏ . from Mk4500.
- Karonga District Council Lodge (just south of the bus station.). Double room with own bathroom. 3,000 mk.
- internet at the museum..