- Not to be confused with Kathar, a village in Chitwan District of Nepal.
Katha is a city of the Kachin State, Northern Myanmar.
Katha is the last city of the Kachin State and it was included in Sagaing Division in 1962 when U Ne Win coup the Democratic Government of the Union of Burma (Now Union of Myanmar).
Once part of the famous boat ride from Myitkina to Mandalay, Katha doesn't see so many tourists these days.
Today it exists as a charming river town, friendlier than its cousin upriver, Bhamo. If you wanted to spend some time doing nothing ; there would be worse places.
Katha is well connected by road, rail and river.
Go to "na bar" station, on the Mandalay-Myitkina line. Tuktuks are available for 1,500 kyat (2019) from the station to Katha. This is the cheapest option.
Local "fast boats" are available from Bhamo for 16,000 kyat (though locals pay half this). Journey times depend heavily on the season.
Buses go daily to/from Mandalay.
The town is quiet small, you might take a tuktuk to the boat station to Bhamo which moves south past the pagoda in dry season.
If you would like to see across the river where a few sandy and untouched villages lie you can take the ferry.
There is a quiet large and interesting bazzar on both sides of the main road
The 1 Monastery isn't so grand, but has an open grass area and some nice trees.
The main bazzar has a wide range of clothing and goods.
Buy a bamboo hat. By two.
- Sein Restaurant, a Chinese restaurant next to Ayarwaddy Guest House, has friendly staff and an English menu with everything 1,500-4,000 kyat. Wide range of options, soup included with all meals. 08:30 - 22:00.
- Noodles at the bazzar are only 500 kyat
There is a great local bar on stilts that hangs lazily over the river Near the slow boat ticket office. (the door is through the kitchen)
- Ayarwaddy Guest House, on the river immediately opposite the fast boat terminal. Friendly English speaking owner offers simple but clean fan rooms for 8,000 kyat. Cold showers and clean squat toilets. Request a riverside room for more air and light.
- Hotel King
- Hotel Sein
- Bhamo – fast ferry for 16,000 kyat (Apr 2019)