In late June 1913, Tikveš was the site of an uprising organized by the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization against Serbian troops during the Second Balkan War. Kavadarci, Negotino, and other nearby settlements were captured. The Serbian army reorganized and brutally suppressed the uprising just several days later. This uprising constituted the first organized revolt against Serbian occupation of Vardar Macedonia following the withdrawal of Turkish forces after the First Balkan War.
The importance of the grape to Kavadarci can't be overstated - a grape design is prominent in the city's flag. In addition to wine, Kavadarci is also important in the production of ferro-nickel. It is also a leader in timber and tobacco production.
The Kavadarci area is ethnically homogeneous, populated by Orthodox Macedonians.
- 1 Kosturnica Memorial (Спомен костурница). This structure stands above the east of the city as a memorial to Kavadarci's victims of fascism in World War II. This ossuary monument contains the remains of several of these victims and contains a granite slab with over 300 victims' names inscribed. Built of concrete in a shape to resemble a traditional Macedonian house, it officially opened in 1976. It stands 12 m (39 ft) tall and offers a scenic view of Kavadarci and the surrounding geography.
- 2 Marko's Tower (Маркова Кула) (in the center of city). In the center of Kavadarci, this defensive tower was likely built in the 18th century. It stands 60 ft (18 m) high and has five stories with walls one meter thick.
Vataša is a large village just south of Kavadarci city limits. Over time, it has become a suburban extension of the city.
- 3 Memorial House of Strašo Pindžur (Спомен-куќа на Страшо Пинџур). Strašo Pindžur was born in Vataša in 1915 in this house. He was a communist partisan and is considered a national hero in North Macedonia. The house has served as a museum on the life of Pindžur since 1956. It was most recently renovated in 2014.
- 4 Mokliški Monastery (Моклишки манастир). South of the village in the area of a historical settlement known as Moklište, this monastery contains one church dedicated to Saint Nicholas. The church and monastery date back to the late 16th century. The church was built of stone and its frescoes date to its construction in 1594. The iconostasis was done in the 19th century. The monastery has not had full-time monks since 1945.
Lake Tikveš is the largest man-made lake of Macedonia, situated 12 km (7.2 mi) southwest of Kavadarci. Created in 1968 on the Crna River, it has become a recreational destination for residents of this part of the country. Four islands came into existence as a result of the creation of the lake and a significant cultural landmark, Pološki Monastery, became accessible only by water. The lake is at the center of a strict natural reserve noted for its ornithological significance with 23 species of predatory birds.
- 5 Pološki Monastery (Полошки Манастир). The most significant church in the Tikveš area is within Pološki Monastery. Located on the slopes of Višešnica Mountain, the monastery became accessible only by boat following the creation of Lake Tikveš in 1968. The monastery contains one church, dedicated to Saint George, as well as living quarters and graves. The church was built by 1340 and is entirely frescoed on the interior, with the oldest dating from the period of its construction. The long, narrow church was built of stone and features one dome.
Notable sights in the outlying villages of Kavadarci Municipality include the following:
- 6 Church of Saint Lazarus (Црква „Св. Лазар“), village of Begnište. About 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Begnište, and 30 m (99 ft) above Lake Tikveš, is this 14th-century cave church. With the damming of the lake, it is only accessible via a dirt road or via boat. Much of the church is in disrepair.
- 7 Bošava Monastery (Бошавски манастир), village of Dolna Bošava. This monastery was established in 1839 when its main (and only) church and living quarters were built. The church is dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel. The frescoes were pained in 1880 by artists from Kruševo. Gorna and Dolna (upper and lower) Bošava are two historic villages with traditional architecture.
- 8 Church of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary (Црква „Успение на Пресвета Богородица“), village of Dabnište. This 18th-century church is single-aisled with a long side porch. Its interior is entirely frescoed. The church is, however, in relatively rough shape.
- 9 Church of Saint Michael the Archangel (Црква „Св. Архангел Михаил“), village of Resava. This church was built from 1837 to 1840 of mostly stone. Its frescoes were painted in 1881 and its most distinctive feature is its large covered porch.
- Mariovo. Kavadarci Municipality covers a portion of this historic region, now largely deserted.
- Tikveški Grozdober. During the first week of September, this festival is held marking the beginning of the wine grape harvest. It was first held in 1964 and hosts various concerts, exhibitions, and other events.
- Alšar - Touch the Sun (Алшар - допри го сонцето), village of Mrežičko. This annual festival was first held in 2016. Various recreational activities are held such as mountain biking and hiking tours. Participants sleep in tents in the village.
Since Kavadarci is famous for its wine, make sure you try some especially the most popular one, Tikveš.
- 1 Hotel Feni, Edward Kardelj BB, ☏ . Big clean rooms. Good quality breakfast buffet included in price. double 3000 denars.
- Hotel Uni Palas I. Double 3000 denars.
- 2 Hotel Uni Palas II, ☏ . Restaurant, swimming pool. Double 3000 denars.
- Villa Ruma, s.Dabniste, ☏ .
- Motel Moklishte, s.Vatasha, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Villa Tikvesh Lake, Tikvesh Lake, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.