Kemerovo (Russian: Ке́мерово KYEHM-eer-uh-vuh) is a city in Kemerovo Oblast, Western Siberia. Kemerovo is the capital of Kemerovo region or Kuzbass. It is a city with over half a million of population — big enough for Siberia. Rivers Tom and Iskitimka run through the city.
- 1 Kemerovo International Airport (KEJ IATA). serves flights from Moscow, Vladivostok etc. and charters from Bangkok, Sanya, Hurghada etc. The bus #101 goes from the airport to the railway station.
Direct trains arrive from
- Moscow (55 hours), #29, firmenniy train Kuzbass.
- Tashtagol (16 hours), #680/679.
- Novosibirsk (5 hours), #853/854
By bus, trams, trolleybus, taxi. Prices are fair enough: 14 руб for public transport and around 200-300 руб for a taxi, depending on how far you want to go.
There are many museums and art galleries in Kemerovo, most of which are located in the city center. The grand Lenin's Square with the Lenin`s monument is a symbol of past Soviet times. Also you can find here a monument dedicated to miners who gave their lives working the region's mines.
- 1 Kemerovo Regional Museum, Sovetskiy Prospekt, 55, ☏ . 10:00-19:00, closed M. Lots of zoonotic exhibits (e.g. dino skeletons, stuffed bears, butterfly collections) if you're into that.
- 2 Archeology Ethnography and Ecology Museum of Siberia, Sovetskiy Prospekt, 77 (located on the Kemerovskiy Gosudarstvennyy University campus), ☏ . M-Th 10:00-18:00. Another museum with emphasis on archaeology, ethnography, and ecology.
- 3 Krasnaya Gorka (Red Hill Museum Reserve), Ulitsa Krasnaya Gorka, 17, ☏ . Miners' museum.
- 4 Monument "In memory of the miners of Kuzbass" (Монумент «Память шахтёрам Кузбасса») (between the miners' museum and the Prospekt Kuznetskiy bridge). This solemn miner looks out over the Tom River at the Kemerovo skyline and rather glum coal plant that has probably not done too many favors for Kemerovans' lungs.
- 5 Wonderland Park. Some little rides and monuments and greenery (if it's not blanketed in snow) in front of the Tom River.
- 6 Kemerovo Botanical Garden (Муниципальное предприятие г.Кемерово "Кемеровский ботанический сад") (out a ways northeast of Kemerovo), ☏ . daily 08:00-19:00. If you are hungering for some tropical or desert life, this might be your best bet with this enclosed ecosphere shielded from the throes of Siberian fury.
- 7 Park Pobedy Im. G.k.zhukova, Ulitsa Michurina, 15. A park that may be of interest if you like walking around looking at relics of Russian military grandeur.
- 8 Pamyatnik Leninu (Памятник Ленину). City center with the obligatory Lenin statue. If you come in winter, you may also get to see ice skaters or at least some snow on Lenin's moustache.
Also the city is surrounded by beautiful forest — taiga, where you can almost feel the wildness and greatness of lands untouched by civilization.
- 'Khimik' Stadium, one of the largest hockey arena in the world where Russian hockey teams play.
- Znamenskiy Kafedral'nyy Sobor, Ulitsa Lunacharskogo, 4. Prominent city church.
Skiing, snowboarding, bowling, pool, hiking, hunting, fishing. Also Disco and night clubs.
Take a tour of the massive strip mine just outside Kemerovo, which fueled Russia's industrial revolution under Stalin's 5-year plan.
- 1 Kemerovskiy Oblastnoy Teatr Dramy, Vesennyaya Ulitsa, 11, ☏ . Kemerov's performing arts theater. Come inside out of the cold and see some genuine Russian productions.
Most common Russian souvenirs. Matryoshka, lapti, beresta. Different types of woodcarved hand-made souvenirs.
There are great number of restaurants. Russian, sushi, European and others. Fast-food meal for 2 people will be around 300 руб. A restaurant meal for 2 people with beer or wine will be as much as 1000 руб.
Vodka! The nearby town of Mariinsk is considered a somewhat adequate manufacturer of vodka.
Plenty of hotels. Centrally located hotels include: Hotel Kuzbass, Tom River Plaza Hotel, Azimut Hotel Kristall. Outside the city in the taiga you can stay at the Park Hotel Graal (http://park-hotel-graal.ru) or the hotel Tsarskiye Palaty.