Kenner is a suburb of New Orleans, Louisiana, located on the east bank of Jefferson Parish, approximately 10 miles west of the city. It is the location of New Orleans International Airport. René-Robert Cavelier landed on this stretch of the north shore of the Mississippi River in 1682.
The main route in and out is Interstate 10. Williams Boulevard runs from the Mississippi River to the Lakefront. Veterans Highway in the north part of the city is a major commercial avenue, connecting to Metairie just to the east.
- Rivertown, old section of town with museums and attractions along Williams Boulevard at the Mississippi River front.
- Kenner Planetarium and MegaDome Cinema, 2020 4th St. Varied astronomy and laser light shows in a 50 ft domed theater. Sa 11AM-3PM.
- Laketown, on the other side of Kenner where Williams Boulevard runs into Lake Pontchartrain. This place features a jogging trail and piers, but what probably stands out most of all are the unimpeded views of Lake Pontchartrain.
- Pontchartrain Convention & Civic Center, 4545 Williams Blvd, ☏ . M-F 8ː30AM-4ː30PM. Near the Lake Pontchartrain (north) end of Williams Boulevard, hosts many special events.
- Treasure Chest Casino, 5050 Williams Blvd, ☏ . Su-Th 8AM-2AM, F-Sa 8AM-5AM. Steamboat casino.
- Regal Grand Esplanade & GPX, 1401 W Esplanade Ave, ☏ . Large cinema complex that might have seen some better days, though it's more alive than The Esplanade Mall next to it.
- Brick Oven, 2805 Williams Blvd (at Veterans Blvd), ☏ . # A. Good mid-range Italian. Tel. 466-2097
- Chateau Coffee Cafe, 701 West Esplanade Avenue, ☏ . Coffee, sandwiches, salads, an light eats. A favorite of the Lakeview section of New Orleans; opened another location in Kenner. Eat in, or order from drive-thru window.
- Ted's Smokehouse, 3809 Williams Blvd, ☏ . Bar-b-que selections.
- Redfish Pizza, 4221 Williams Blvd, ☏ .
There are a number of hotels near the Airport and on Veterans Highway.
Telephone area code is 504, same as New Orleans.
- Metairie is just to the east of Kenner.
- New Orleans, Louisiana's largest city and foremost visitor attraction, is a dozen miles to the east on the other side of Metairie.
- Covington and the Lake Pontchartrain North Shore are less than an hour's drive across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.
- Baton Rouge, the state Capital, is some 90 minutes drive north-west on Interstate-10
|Routes through Kenner|
|Baton Rouge ← LaPlace ←||W E||→ Metairie → New Orleans|
|Baton Rouge ← Saint Rose ←||N S||→ Metairie → New Orleans|