A state resort park on the shore of Kentucky Lake and overlooking Kentucky Dam.
After the Great Flood of 1937, Congress authorized the Tennessee Valley Authority to purchase land in order to provide flood control and power generation in the Tennessee and Cumberland River valleys of Kentucky. This project would eventually result in Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. The land now occupied by the park was part of this land purchase. Kentucky Dam was completed in 1945 and in 1949, TVA sold 1119 acres to the state at a discounted price. Between 1949 and 1955, the state spent $1.5 million constructing the park.
Flora and fauna
Most travellers will access the park by taking exit 27 from I-24.
Fees and permits
- Kentucky Dam Marina, 466 Marina Dr., Gilbertsville, KY 42044, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A full service marina located within the park. A variety of boat types may be rented and overnight mooring is available for private watercraft. The marina is open March 1 through October 31.
- Fishing Miles of shoreline or a rented boat offer many fishing opportunities. All persons 16 and older must have a valid Kentucky fishing permit.
- Golf The state park has a 72 par golf course. An onsite pro shop and golf cart rentals are available. The golf course is open year round.
- Horseback Riding Guided trail rides are available Memorial Day through Labor Day. Rides are $18 per person.
- Swimming An outdoor pool is available to guests of the lodge and cottages. Besides the pool, there is a public beach on the lake. Both the pool and beach are open Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- 1 Harbor Lights Restaurant, 113 Administration Dr. Gilbertsville, KY 42044 (-88.28572), ☏ . A 200-seat restaurant located at the lodge with views of Kentucky Lake Dam and the marina. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served.
- 1 Village Inn Lodge, 113 Administration Dr. Gilbertsville, KY 42044, ☏ , toll-free: . The lodge features 72 rooms, each with a private patio or balcony. 62 cottages are also available for rent. The cottages come in 1-, 2- or 3-bedroom configurations. An outdoor swimming pool is available for use by the guests of the lodge and cottages.
- 2 Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park, 113 Administration Dr. Gilbertsville, KY 42044, ☏ . The park campground features 219 paved sites with water and electric hook ups. Comfort stations with showers and flush toilets are available as well as an onsite grocery store. The campground is closed November 1 through March 31.