Keystone is a ski resort in Colorado, with a permanent population of around 11000 people (2010). The Keystone Resort ski area occupies 3 mountains: Dercum Mountain, North Peak, and the Outback. It offers snowcat skiing in Independence Bowl, Bergman Bowl, Erickson Bowl, in addition to the existing North Bowl and South Bowl on Wapiti Peak.
Keystone is located off Interstate 70 and US Highway 6.
The closest international airport is Denver (DEN). Eagle County Airport is also an option for travelers. Numerous car and bus shuttles are available for transport from the airport.
The activities and services in the area are spread out around the resort and the adjacent town of Dillon. Keystone Resort provides free transportation by shuttle bus on 15 minute regular schedules to all resort lodging, ski area, and lodge. The Summit Stage, a free bus service, provides service between the resorts in Summit county, and to the towns of Dillon, Frisco, and Breckenridge in addition to Keystone. They also stop at the grocery store, target, and within easy walking distance of anything you might need during your stay.
When you arrive at Keystone, right down the road is the old mining town of Montezuma, and you can take a scenic Jeep tour up the side of the mountain to Saint John's, another old mining town, with some beautiful scenery.
The resort has many summer and winter outdoor activities. The winter activities include alpine skiing, snowboarding, tubing, ice-skating, cross-country skiing, horse-drawn sleigh ride dinners, and snowmobiling. The summer activities include hiking, mountain biking, fishing, trail running, golf on two championship courses, and paddle boating on Keystone Lake.
Skiing at Keystone is great from the base area, and from the River Run area. It is a great place to ski in the winter, but has some great events in the summer. One of the most fun events is the Blues Festival. Here, they have music and some really great food. It is usually on the 2nd weekend of July.
- Keystone Snowmobiling Tours & Snowmobile Rentals. Guided snowmobile tours and self-guided snowmobile rentals in the Keystone backcountry.
There are many places in Keystone where you can rent ski and snowboard equipment for your stay in Beaver Creek.
Here are just a few of the many equipment rental stores found in Keystone
- Black Tie Ski Rentals
- Breeze Ski Rentals
- Christy Sports
- Keystone Sports - Mountain House Rental
- Keystone Sports-River Run Rental
- Mountain View Sports
- Resort Quest Ski & Sport
- Summit Outdoor Sports
- Surefoot - Keystone Blackbear Lodge
If you arriving in Keystone without a car it is probably easier to rent your gear closer to your hotel or even better the lifts as most offer over night storage, saving you the hassle of lugging your skis back to your accommodation every day. Or to secure special boot size or your preference for equipment rental.
You can also book your ski or snowboard rental online which may save you some money and less time in the rental store. The main companies in Keystone that offer this service are;
- Black Tie (Which also offer full delivery service to your accommodation)
- Christy Sports
- Railhead Family Restaurant.
- Fritz's Alpine Bistro, 195 River Run Rd, ☏ .
- Creekside Dining.
- Powder House Lodge.
- The Bighorn Bistro, 22101 US Highway 6, ☏ . The Bighorn Bistro serves only the finest cuts of corn-fed American beef. Additionally, there is a wide variety of appetizers including blue corn crab fritters and caramelized Colorado goat cheese, wild game, fresh sustainable seafood, slow roasted natural chicken and other specialty entrees to tempt your palate.
- Edgewater Café, 22101 US Highway 6, ☏ . Enjoy a delicious lunch on the shores of Keystone Lake in this casual family café.
- Tenderfoot Lounge, 22101 US Highway 6, ☏ . Discover one of the best-kept secrets around. Nestled next to the Bighorn Bistro in Keystone Lodge & Spa, this cozy lounge features comfortable seating around a crackling fire in the floor to ceiling stone fireplace, a full bar, and live entertainment on the weekends.
- Inn at Keystone, 23044 Us Highway 6.
- Keystone Lodge, 22101 US Highway 6, ☏ . Surrounded by the majestic Rocky Mountains and thousands of acres of national forest, Keystone Lodge & Spa offers 152 rooms (including 14 loft suites), magnificent views and easy access to Keystone’s numerous outdoor adventures, including skiing, ice skating, mountain biking and more. The longest-honored resort member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts, this AAA Four Diamond Award-winning lodge features a luxurious 10,000-square-foot RockResorts Spa, 36 holes of award-winning golf, two restaurants, a cozy lounge, lakeside deli, fitness center and year-round indoor/outdoor pool and hot tub.
- Keystone Resort: Inn at Keystone, ☏ .
- River Bank Lodge, 21996 US Highway 6.
- 1 SummitCove.com Keystone Resort Lodging (SummitCove Vacation Rentals), 23110 US HWY 6 UNIT 6 (Located in the Gateway Mountain Lodge building at the corner of Hwy 6 and the turn off into River Run Village), toll-free: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. Keystone's largest independent property management company. $79-1799.
Nearby ski resorts include:
- Arapahoe Basin
- Copper Mountain
- Colorado's Wine Country - Colorado is home to over 70 wineries and its own indigenous vineyards, some of the highest in the world. Wine lovers can enjoy several scenic day trips from Keystone to many of the small towns that grow their own grapes. These lovely little communities include Montrose, Palisade, Paonia, Grand Junction and Hotchkiss. This is a day trip by car.
|Routes through Keystone|
|Grand Junction ← Silverthorne ←||W E||→ Georgetown → Denver|