It's located south east from Saaremaa Island and west from the mainland.
For many years, the men of Kihnu have been frequently gone to sea while the women ran the island and became the guardians of the island's cultural heritage which includes handicrafts, dances, games and music. Unlike men, they also wear their national costumes in everyday life. So it's quite normal to see an old woman dressed in traditional clothing driving a motorbike or even a tractor.
UNESCO proclaimed Kihnu's cultural space and traditions as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity on November 7, 2003.
Lemsi, Linaküla, Rootsiküla and Sääre.
Because of the surrounding sea the climate on the island is soft and warmer than the Estonian average.
- Kihnu Museum, ☎ . 10-17 (May-Aug every day), 10-14 (Sept Tue-Sat; Oct-Apr Tue-Fri). It hosts exhibits about the history of the island, the life and times of famous local captain, Kihnu Jõnn, and a collection of paintings by the renowned artist, Jaan Oad. Across the road from the museum you'll find the Kihnu Orthodox church and cemetery. 3€.
- Kihnu Lighthouse. 29m high and located in the southernmost headland in Kihnu.
Try to visit Kihnu during traditional celebrations of popular calendar or church holidays like Christmas, Midsummer's day and St. Catherine's Day, where you can witness genuine old traditions.
It's a good location for walking, fishing and bicycling (bikes can be rented on the island).
- Kurase kauplus, Sääre village. 10-18. Grocery store.
- Kihnu pood, Sääre village, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:30-18:00. Grocery store. Fresh food from Pärnu arrives on Mondays and Fridays.
- Kallase pood, Lemsi village, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Grocery store.
The island doesn't have an all year round open dining place. From September to May, catering on request. There is no ATM on the island, but in most of the stores and catering establishments are able to pay by bank card.
- Kurase kohvik, Sääre village. Open only during summer.
- Kihnu Küek, Männi Talu, Linaküla Kihnu vald. Home-restaurant; booking in advance.
- Kurase baar, Sääre village. Open only during summer.
- Ruudu külaliskorterid, Lemsi, Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 20€.
- Kuraga kodumajutus, Kuraga talu, Rootsi küla, Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. +Bicycle rent. 40€.
- Sadama öömaja, Rannametsa talu, Linaküla, Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sauna (20 €/h); Bicycle rent; Fishing trip (85€). 23€.
- Ranniku majutus, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 20€.
- Rock City, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tavern; Sauna;... 15€.
- Kihnuranna puhkeküla, Sääre küla, Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Sauna; Bicycle rent; Fishing trip; 15€.
- Tolli Turismitalu, Sääre küla, Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 20€.
- Kastani majutus, Kastani talu, Linaküla küla, Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Sauna; Bicycle rent; Free WiFi. 18€.
- Pihlaka kodumajutus, Pihlaka, Linaküla Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sauna; Grill; Bicycle rent; Fishing trip; Car tour. 16€.
- Nuki kodumajutus, Nuki talu, Sääre küla, Kihnu vald, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Bicycle rent. 20€.
- Uibu talu kodumajutus, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Niine majutus, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hiie kodumajutus, ☎ .
- Saaremaa, the largest island with an intact and well-restored medieval castle.
- Hiiumaa Island, well known for its lighthouses, unspoilt nature, Hill of Crosses and the sense of humour of its inhabitants.
- Vormsi Island, unique blend of Soviet and Swedish history mixed with unspoilt nature.
- Pärnu, historical resort seaside city with a small harbour, Estonia's summer capital.
- Ruhnu, another small island in the Gulf of Riga, smallest municipality in Estonia