The shores of Golden Lake are 3 km (1.9 mi) to the east, which is well known for quality angling and year-round recreation.
There is little of note in the town, but those heading to the park or to other remote areas might consider stopping here for provisions.
The name Killaloe (pronounced "KILL-a-LOO") hails from an Irish community in Ireland of the same name and salutes the Irish heritage of many of the first settlers to this area who came to Canada in the early 19th century seeking a better life. The early beginnings of this little town centered on the lumber trade. Built in 1849, and rebuilt in 1870 after a devastating fire, the mill at Old Killaloe harnessed waterpower to grind grain for area residents up to 1930, and planed lumber until the 1960s. In those days it was known as Fort McDonnell, but it became known as Killaloe Station circa 1868 when the Ottawa, Arnprior, Parry Sound Railway was expanding at a furious pace through the rugged countryside of the Madawaska Valley in response to the demands of the lumber industry.
In 1854 the construction of the Opeongo Line brought settlers and the logging industry to this area which had been occupied by the Algonquins. The Algonquin First Nation in the area still continue an ongoing land claim which covers the entire region. A majority of the settlers were French Canadians and Irish Catholic immigrants but among them were Poles, Kashubians and Germans as well.
With the railway construction essentially finished, and the forestry industry declining many of the people took to farming. Unfortunately the soil was poor. Rocky land and short growing seasons meant that many farms failed. The population went into a steady decline which has only leveled off in the past few decades.
The lumber industry is still important to the livelihood of many in the surrounding communities. Large and small logging operations and sawmills still support the local economy even though the railway no longer runs through the village. Killaloe maintains a flavour of the turn of the century in many of the commercial buildings which are more than 100 years old.
In May 2014, the founders of BeaverTails Grant and Pam Hooker officially named Killaloe as the birthplace of the BeaverTails. This popular Canadian snack has named one of its signature versions after this town.
The major access to Killaloe is Highway 60
The town is compact. Any journeys to outlying regions would require a car.
The town offers little of interest, rather it is its proximity to wilderness.
- The Homestead at Wolf Ridge Golf Course, 214 Stone Church Rd, toll-free: . 18-hole golf course on highway 60, just west of Killaloe, on 220 acres of rolling farmland. A licensed club house and patio.
For those heading to camping or for cottage country, the town is reasonably stocked with a grocery market and some other stores.
- Killaloe Freshmart, 188 Queen St. M-Sa 8AM-6PM.
- [dead link] Garth's Kitchen, 14 Lake St, ☏ . Tu-Th Sa 7AM-2PM, F 7AM-8PM. Breakfasts, salads, pitas, burgers. Friday night: pizza.
- BeaverTails, 170 Queen St. Fried dough with sugar. What's not to like?
- Creekside Grille, 170 Queen St. Fish and chips, poutine.
- Sands on Golden Lake, 13163 Highway 60, Deacon, Golden Lake (6 km from Killaloe), ☏ , toll-free: . Spacious guest rooms, luxury vacation suites, three-bedroom chalets, and cottage. Restaurant/lounge, and a full-service spa overlooking Golden Lake. From $110.
|Routes through Killaloe|
|Algonquin Provincial Park ← Wilno ←||W E||→ Renfrew → END|